Monomorium Pharaonis

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KvnRepublic

Monomorium Pharaonis

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Hello, I am new to the AntsCanada forums but I have a question. I have been finding small clusters of Monomorium Pharaonis under rocks and wood in my yard and I am wondering how you would find a queen for this species because I can't find any info on their nuptial flights.

nightxwolf88

Re: Monomorium Pharaonis

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm pretty sure monomorium Pharaonis doesn't have nuptial flights. I believe pharaoh ants and other polygynous species like it mate within the nest and form new colonies through budding. If you want the queens you are gonna have to find them when you flip those stones and wood and if not there with the workers then dig some.

KvnRepublic

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks, I am new to ant keeping and I did not know that. Just another question, how deep should I dig if I find a cluster?

nightxwolf88

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:05 pm

KvnRepublic wrote:Thanks, I am new to ant keeping and I did not know that. Just another question, how deep should I dig if I find a cluster?
I'm very new to ant keeping as well. I found a polygynous species here just recently I was lucky enough to find the queens right on the rock I flipped huddled together the first time. Today got some more I saw small batch of brood and workers under the rock but no queen. I only dug about 6 inches until I didn't see workers anymore and when I looked through what I dug I found 5 queens. The depth will of course depend on the species and even small species can get deep. Just dig until you don't see workers or tunnels in the hole. Sometimes they can form a satellite colony that just has brood and workers so could take a few tries. Sorry for such a long post lol

larynx

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:18 pm

check your electric sockets, and door locks, you may find some, lol.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

KvnRepublic

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Just a question, how big are the queens compared to the workers?

nightxwolf88

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:13 pm

KvnRepublic wrote:Just a question, how big are the queens compared to the workers?
Double in size I just looked online and read the workers are bout 2mm and the queens 4mm

KvnRepublic

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Interesting because I just found some that were double the size but had no brood.

AntsRule

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:18 pm

If u post some pics I can tell u for sure if they are queens :D Not all queens will have brood around them since they might not have laid yet. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:15 pm

AntsRule wrote:If u post some pics I can tell u for sure if they are queens :D Not all queens will have brood around them since they might not have laid yet. :D
Yes that makes sense cause I believe that species that spread through budding take along some workers to start up the new colony. Species that have flights have extra muscle and such for food reserves to hold them off and feed new brood. Species that bud dont have those extra food stores so could need the starting group of workers to get started.