Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:12 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:Hey AntsRule, I have two queens with some Nanitics!!! Do you have any so far? Don't know exact species but I caught them 5/12 and now they both have 3-5+ workers : ) tiny yellowish ants!!! Wooooo!
CONGRATS!!!!! I wil1 have workers for my camp. C. within a week :D :D :D :D :D :D So excited!!!
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Exels1

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Great to see everyone local in the thread, I caught my first queen in my in laws pool in perkiomenville after saving it the queen clipped her wings in the first 5 minutes, when I had it id it was a Lasius parosidic queen, which turned my excitement into getting bummed. That night it rained on July 4, the next Day took some walks around the grassy parks in the area without any luck. Got home late and as I was walking in the door I noted small males alates next to my front door lamp post that were drawn in my the light. So I kept looking and luckily I found some queens also, it was around 10pm. The queens turned out to be Pheidole queen. They are in a test tube set up now, I'll keep you updated. But they are flying out here in the city of Philadelphia !

Exels1

Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:16 pm

The last 3 days I haven't seen anything, I saw 1 male alate tonight with the help of my black light. My 2 Pheidole queens are still alive, 1 shed her wingspans the other still had hers. Hope she is fertile! Hope all you guys are having any luck

Exels1

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 am

Pheidole Queens are flying friends!!

after not finding any Queens hiking down the wissahickon trail and combing the side walk, i decided to take my family out for ice cream and it starts to rain heavy for 10 minutes and it stopped, finishing my ice cream, next thing you know i see 10 Pheidole Queens flying next to the window lights. I took 6 with me, when i got home i found 1 pheidole by my front door lamp. Im hoping they mated so i can put them up for GAN. !

good luck guys!

AntFarm

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:30 am

I caught 10 tetramorium queens in my pool, 7 of which are alive now (some were drowned out). Very excited to see them create a colony, I just ordered a pack of 25 test tubes :D

Exels1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:18 pm

You have pictures antfarm?
I'm curious how the queens looks and compares

Antics

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:53 am

No luck for me, I just put a listing on Craigslist for I'm too tall to be bending over like this haha
First time ant keeper in Philadelphia, PA! Would love to get together and trade info about ant keeping if you're around!

nightxwolf88

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:07 am

Antics wrote:No luck for me, I just put a listing on Craigslist for I'm too tall to be bending over like this haha
Lmao was thinking the same thing last night as I basically had to lay on the ground at 6ft2in to see stuff lmao

Exels1

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:19 pm

Thought I caught a queen today and it turned out to be a wasp... Geez, it looked like a queen if it wasn't enlarged.

Im having difficulty trying to to peek at my queens all the time, I have 0 patience, but I fight the urge. I checked on them today and 4 out of 9 have laid eggs that seem to be in a pile and not scattered which is a good sign so far. I am getting worried that the other 5 maybe haven't mated, how much time do you give the eggless queens in the test tube setup?

Hoping to put Pennsylvania on the AntsCanada Gan Map!

AntsRule

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Some of my camponotus queens have workers and other are just now laying, even though I caught them the same day. They just have to feel comfortable. :D Try not to peek to much, they will eat there eggs
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.