3d printing ant nest?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

3d printing ant nest?

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi, So my local library has a 3d printer that anyone can use for free, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of 3d printing an ant nest before? I was thinking about making it like a hybrid nest. (lasius to be specific) Are the hybrid nests 3d printed? does anyone know anything about this?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: 3d printing ant nest?

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Yes the Hybrid Nests are 3D printed. They were all designed by AntsCanada staff and are printed in our manufacturing facility.

I suspect your library will at a minimum charge you for the use of the plastic filament right? Do you know if there is someone there who will help you get your model printed? It will most likely take 15-20 hours to print out something comparable in size to a Hybrid Nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Marandola

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:25 am

It would be awesome :D share with us the results if you do it.

asgarpet

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi guys !
I'm working on a 3d print project since a few months. I bought a cheep Chinese 3d printer at 250$.
That's amazing !! But obviously it take a lot of time to calibrate it. And if you want to have very good results you need to make some upgrades. But it is always cheeper then buy a brand model.
I don't think that's a good investissement if you want just to print a little quantity of nest.
Otherwise you can find 3d print services online. But I don't really know the price of it.
If you want some model. You can go on thingivers I saw some nest and other things.

Martin

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:59 pm

If anybody needed some help with 3D printing and creating a 3D models I can help. :) I'm making my own nests and friend of mine has a good 3Dprinter. Just let me know and we could work out your own nest ;) :ugeek:

idahoantgirl

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:13 pm

ooper01 wrote:Yes the Hybrid Nests are 3D printed. They were all designed by AntsCanada staff and are printed in our manufacturing facility.

I suspect your library will at a minimum charge you for the use of the plastic filament right? Do you know if there is someone there who will help you get your model printed? It will most likely take 15-20 hours to print out something comparable in size to a Hybrid Nest.
okay, thanks. Yeah, I'm going to talk with the librarian to get the exact details. I just wanted to make sure that I don't need to use some sort of special plastic that won't poison my ants or something. It would be neat if I could do it for minimum to low cost, because AntsCanada nests, while ideal, are pretty pricy for me. I was looking into plaster nests but they mold. This would be a great option for me and I'm super excited!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

asgarpet

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:42 am

Hi everyone !

I just begin to print my future nest !

Here is a picture of it :

Enjoy !

GriffinAnt

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:48 am

very cool :D

asgarpet

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Hey,

After longs hours of printing, here is the result :

I must print the pieces for the tube fitting, add steel grid, a glass and a cover and it will be usable.

I can't wait !

Martin

Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am

It looks amazing! How big is the printing area?
But honesly I prefere to put my ants to more natural materials like cork :)