HELP ID QUEEN ANT!!!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: HELP ID QUEEN ANT!!!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am

CatsnAnts wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am
Is it okay for me to keep my Camponotus subbarbatus near a heat source, such as a lamp? (I have her well covered so she recieves no light). What is a temperature that you think is the maximum heat that a queen ant should have so I can avoid that.
I just recommend room temperature. Lots of beginners kill their colonies by fiddling with heat; it is unnecessary in most cases.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

CatsnAnts

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am

K thanks!
Camponotus subbarbatus x3
Temnothorax curvispinosus x1 :shock: :D
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

CatsnAnts

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

Hey, so I just found this queen ant (I literally watched her pull her wings off!) and I’m guessing that she is a lasius umbratus? Am I correct?Image
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm

That is Chthonolasius (a subgenus of Lasius) for sure. Interesting to see them flying at this time of year. Could you get pictures focusing on her gaster, perhaps shot from the side? Also turn noise reduction off for your camera if that is an option, since that kills detail for macro.

Lasius umbratus has a much shinier cousin called Lasius speculiventris (don't bother googling, because most of those queens are misidentified).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

CatsnAnts

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:23 pm

I’ll try my best! (All of these photos are taken by my phone :roll: )
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

CatsnAnts

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Okay, so I really don’t have that great of a camera, but I might try and use this other one that apparently has a super good zooming lense or something? But for now, here’s the best picture I got! Also I took a magnifying glass and examined her gaster closely, (I have perfect nearsighted vision), and I did not see any visible hairs. I will try to get a better picture sometime soon!Image
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Yes, Lasius speculiventris. You may not want to handle queens that way, though. They can be quite fragile.

CatsnAnts

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Oh! Oops! :? I will not handle her like that next time. I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up! I tried to get better picture, but it didn’t work. Also, is she a parasitic queen? Because if she is, I think I’m going to release her back into the wild.
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 pm

CatsnAnts wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 pm
Oh! Oops! :? I will not handle her like that next time. I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up! I tried to get better picture, but it didn’t work. Also, is she a parasitic queen? Because if she is, I think I’m going to release her back into the wild.
Yes, they are parasitic. They are also the host species to another interesting Chthonolasius, Lasius minutus, which have small, hairy queens.

KinmanPack777

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm

Can anyone see the Picture of the ant i posted