i bought this colony and i didn't see a fertilised queens, or is it so?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Re: i bought this colony and i didn't see a fertilised queens, or is it so?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 am

abunyil wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 am
so i bought this oecophylla smaragdina colony[weaver ants] online, they were placed in a plastic container with holes in it and when i saw inside, there were no queens without wings.I only saw workers and lots of male and female alates.is there a possibility that one of the female alates[the queens that still have wings] is a queen that already mated and if there is actually no queen in there,will they be able to still produce eggs and survive?

thx for your help
It is possible that the actual queen just didn't shed her wings. Otherwise... you got cheated.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

idahoantgirl

Re: i bought this colony and i didn't see a fertilised queens, or is it so?

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 am

abunyil wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:58 am
idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 am
abunyil wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 am
so i bought this oecophylla smaragdina colony[weaver ants] online, they were placed in a plastic container with holes in it and when i saw inside, there were no queens without wings.I only saw workers and lots of male and female alates.is there a possibility that one of the female alates[the queens that still have wings] is a queen that already mated and if there is actually no queen in there,will they be able to still produce eggs and survive?

thx for your help
It is possible that the actual queen just didn't shed her wings. Otherwise... you got cheated.

well is there a possibility the colony might survive like an unfertilised queen mating with a male alate in the nest?
Nope. Queens and males fly at a certain time of year when certain pheromones are in the air. They mate in flight. But don't throw the colony out. It might be possible that there is a queen in there that just decided to not shed her wings. Contact the seller.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile