Re: My myrmicinae queen found in belgium, Ghent on 10/08/2017

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 am
Brentywenty wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 am
idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:50 pm
If the ants don't feel the need to move, they probably don't have to. I always like to start hibernation with a fresh tube as well though, so if worst comes to worst, you could tap them into the other tube. Not recommended, kinda risky, but if you really want her to change the tubes before hibernation then that is an option. As far as the outworld, you can probably just take a sponge with some natural soap on it and scrub it off, then try to wipe the soap off of the rock. You should just hibernate your queen with the slow developing eggs. Just try not to bother her much.
Thanks for the help. Without you I didn't know all these things. I'm very thankful for that. If I could do anything back, I would do that. But I also have one more question: what is tapping into another tube. And also: is natural soap like soap in the form of bar.
Thx, Brentywenty. :mrgreen:
No problem! I enjoy it :) Basically what I mean is to literally tape the old tube's opening to the new tubes opening, then turn it vertical (so that the colony will fall into the new tube) and then tap on the side of the old tube to get any eggs stuck on the cotton into the new tube. Like I said, not recommended, and risky, but I have done it before to my Lasius Neoniger. When i think of natural soap I think of something advertised as natural with simple ingredients. for instance I have a bar of natural olive oil soap that just has saponified olive oil, water, and salt. Something like this should not harm your colony. If anyone thinks otherwise, please say so though.
OK, as first: how do you change the title of a topic you made???!!! And second :D : I did what you asked and now the bacteria are gone. (Yay!) I also cleaned at the same time the rest of the outworld. I actually used laundry detergent. I only saw natural products in the recipe list, but there was one thing that was five procent in the laundry detergent. And that was non-ionic and anionic surfactants. Is this bad? I hope not, because I don't want one of my colonies to die because of that. I'm feeding them crickets, and they also didn't move yet. But that was it for now.

Brentywenty. :mrgreen:
Ants: So small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

idahoantgirl

Re: My myrmicinae queen found in belgium, Ghent on 10/08/2017

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Brentywenty wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am
idahoantgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 am
Brentywenty wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks for the help. Without you I didn't know all these things. I'm very thankful for that. If I could do anything back, I would do that. But I also have one more question: what is tapping into another tube. And also: is natural soap like soap in the form of bar.
Thx, Brentywenty. :mrgreen:
No problem! I enjoy it :) Basically what I mean is to literally tape the old tube's opening to the new tubes opening, then turn it vertical (so that the colony will fall into the new tube) and then tap on the side of the old tube to get any eggs stuck on the cotton into the new tube. Like I said, not recommended, and risky, but I have done it before to my Lasius Neoniger. When i think of natural soap I think of something advertised as natural with simple ingredients. for instance I have a bar of natural olive oil soap that just has saponified olive oil, water, and salt. Something like this should not harm your colony. If anyone thinks otherwise, please say so though.
OK, as first: how do you change the title of a topic you made???!!! And second :D : I did what you asked and now the bacteria are gone. (Yay!) I also cleaned at the same time the rest of the outworld. I actually used laundry detergent. I only saw natural products in the recipe list, but there was one thing that was five procent in the laundry detergent. And that was non-ionic and anionic surfactants. Is this bad? I hope not, because I don't want one of my colonies to die because of that. I'm feeding them crickets, and they also didn't move yet. But that was it for now.

Brentywenty. :mrgreen:
You can't change the title. You can create a new thread, but you can't change the title. I can't say what chemicals will be toxic to your ants, so I'm hoping that the chemical you mentioned is ok.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile