Ant proof outworld ideas?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Ant proof outworld ideas?

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello everyone,
I am currently hibernating my ants, and I wanted to build a new outworld since there aren’t any ants occupying it right now. Previously I had made a dirt setup, which my ants moved Into, and after a couple of months I rescued them. But now I am wondering how to make a semi-realistic looking outworld, with it still being ant proof. I know that I could use grout or y-tong (is that how you spell it), but I’m not really sure how. Any input is appreciated.
-Idahoantguy
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

JackPayne

Re: Ant proof outworld ideas?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:28 am

Anything can make outworlds ant escape proof.

Gels and oils, Vaseline, baby powder/rubbing alocohol etc.
Also lids help a lot!
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

idahoantgirl

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

What did you use before? For my tetramorium I found that just rubbing alcohol and baby powder didn't work. What does work is dipping a dry cotton ball into some dry baby powder and dabbing it around the rim of the outworld. it is a lot slicker and more difficult for them to climb. I had an outworld made from a Tupperware container. I poured grout in the bottom and the placed rocks, fake moss, branches, and clippings from fake plants around the house. It looked beautiful, but There were a few problems: The container I used was made of soft bendy plastic so if I squeezed the sides of my outworld the grout would crack. Also, grout tends to crack unless you hydrate it. And then its really hard to keep up with hydrating an outworld. Eventually The grout had separated from the bottom and sides so the ants were dumping all the garbage underneath the grout. Then I accidentally knocked my whole setup off the desk... and all the grout fell out. so now I have a super ugly plain Tupperware container for an outworld. I would use dirt in an outworld, but I wouldn't be able to see my ants well and they would drag the dirt into my hybrid. I hate how that looks.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:50 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm
What did you use before? For my tetramorium I found that just rubbing alcohol and baby powder didn't work. What does work is dipping a dry cotton ball into some dry baby powder and dabbing it around the rim of the outworld. it is a lot slicker and more difficult for them to climb. I had an outworld made from a Tupperware container. I poured grout in the bottom and the placed rocks, fake moss, branches, and clippings from fake plants around the house. It looked beautiful, but There were a few problems: The container I used was made of soft bendy plastic so if I squeezed the sides of my outworld the grout would crack. Also, grout tends to crack unless you hydrate it. And then its really hard to keep up with hydrating an outworld. Eventually The grout had separated from the bottom and sides so the ants were dumping all the garbage underneath the grout. Then I accidentally knocked my whole setup off the desk... and all the grout fell out. so now I have a super ugly plain Tupperware container for an outworld. I would use dirt in an outworld, but I wouldn't be able to see my ants well and they would drag the dirt into my hybrid. I hate how that looks.
Ok good to know, what other options are there for a outworld medium (like the grout)
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

idahoantgirl

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am

Probably cement. I think I've seen Mikey use it before in an outworld tutorial
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,