Queen ID: Tampa Florida found Aug 1

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Allaric

Queen ID: Tampa Florida found Aug 1

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Can anyone identify this queen?

She is incredibly small 4-5mm long. The nantics are barely 1mm if they stretch. The picture is not ideal but they are so small i can't get proper focus.

Caught under trees in very late July very early August. Queens don't move much, nantics are little race cars. Antenna almost almost as long as their bodies which looks pretty neat. Queen is shaped very much like a termite, but they are definitely ants.

I think they may be Brachymyrmex depilis or possibly a Tapinoma (sp) but I it is very difficult to see because of the size. They are seriously the size of the period at the end of this sentence.

I would like to put them on on the GAN, but I need to know what they are first.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ID: Tampa Florida found Aug 1

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:36 pm

I would take the closest photo you can without the ants going out of focus, even if that is considerable distance away. Make sure the lighting is good.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Allaric

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:15 pm

I am not able to upload pictures, I am getting an error saying that the board quota has been reached. I didn't notice on my first post that the picture didn't go through. Any suggestion on how to get by this?

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:43 pm

You need to upload them to a 3rd part hosting site other than photobucket, then link them here (preferably with the IMG brackets).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.