Test Tube Alternatives

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Teatotalled

Test Tube Alternatives

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm

So I really want to go out and catch a queen this season! I know it's getting late but I just moved back and most of this summer has been settling in. It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow and I thought this would be an excellent time to go get some queens. However, I don't have any test tubes. I do plan to get them soon but I want to get my queens settled asap so if I catch them in the next few days I may not have the tubes by then. What alternatives are there to house nesting queens and their foundling colonies?

AqdasHassaan

Re: Test Tube Alternatives

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Teatotalled wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm
So I really want to go out and catch a queen this season! I know it's getting late but I just moved back and most of this summer has been settling in. It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow and I thought this would be an excellent time to go get some queens. However, I don't have any test tubes. I do plan to get them soon but I want to get my queens settled asap so if I catch them in the next few days I may not have the tubes by then. What alternatives are there to house nesting queens and their foundling colonies?
It's okay to house your queens in a small container with a hydrated cotton ball placed in one corner or at the center of the container. The only challenging part about this setup is that you have to make sure that the cotton stays wet by spraying directly on the cotton or by dropping some water drops using a dropper and in doing so you can disturb queen a lot. That's why the test tube setup works best.

Teatotalled

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 pm

AqdasHassaan wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 pm

It's okay to house your queens in a small container with a hydrated cotton ball placed in one corner or at the center of the container. The only challenging part about this setup is that you have to make sure that the cotton stays wet by spraying directly on the cotton or by dropping some water drops using a dropper and in doing so you can disturb queen a lot. That's why the test tube setup works best.
hmm perhaps I can work something out with that! Thanks so much for the information!

AqdasHassaan

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Happy to help.
Good luck. :)

idahoantgirl

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I go down to a florist and ask for water piks. they are like short little testtubes. sometimes they are green and glass, but sometimes they are just tubes and clear.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsArizona

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Looks like someone beat me too it and recommended those water Pik things from floral shops. When I was searching for test tubes, i found small ones at Hobby Lobby but what really worked was using Google Maps and searching "Teaching supplies."

I was able to find a teaching supplies store which had science equipment including test tubes. You could try to search your area for that!

I also used small togo sauce containers and did the cotton ball method. Be careful not to use too much water or the ants will get stuck in the droplets and possible drown.

Rhetorik

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:53 pm

AntsArizona wrote:
I was able to find a teaching supplies store which had science equipment including test tubes. You could try to search your area for that!
Thank you

Just saved me so much money...only place I could find tubes was charging me 3$ per
Yaaas my queen
-Me

AntsArizona

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Rhetorik wrote:
AntsArizona wrote:
Thank you

Just saved me so much money...only place I could find tubes was charging me 3$ per
Awesome!! Yeah that should get you by while you're hunting queens. I got a 12 pack at the store locally and then eventually bought a 25 pack on Amazon.

17x150mm Polystyrene Test Tubes w/Caps: Pk/25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OG5ZVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3DoLzbD6QAPQ8

AntNoobster

Sun May 13, 2018 3:14 am

AntsArizona wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 pm
Rhetorik wrote:
AntsArizona wrote:
Thank you

Awesome!! Yeah that should get you by while you're hunting queens. I got a 12 pack at the store locally and then eventually bought a 25 pack on Amazon.

17x150mm Polystyrene Test Tubes w/Caps: Pk/25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OG5ZVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3DoLzbD6QAPQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNW4NGNHg4 here this should be good
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.