Missing colony!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Missing colony!

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:35 pm

So I recently moved one of my young tetramorium sp. E colonies into my hybrid nest setup, and they were doing find for a couple of days. Last night I checked on them and they were doing fine in the nest but this morning I looked and they were nowhere to be found. I was able to see one worker in their outworld, but no others. The outworld has about an inch of dirt in the bottom so I was wondering if they moved in there. I kept checking on them through today and I only have ever seen two workers at a time. I tried shaking the outworld about to see if they would come out, and I poured a bit of water to see if I could flood them out. I looked around the sides and saw the two little workers kind of digging but I haven't seen them since. Should I be worried that they escaped? Or do you think they're down in there, and if so what can I do to get them back into their nest? Thanks for your help!
-Idahoantguy
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Nj6000

Re: Missing colony!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:54 am

Did you have a barrier in the outworld ?

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am

How big was the colony when you moved them? they may have been too small in number and found the hybrid to be too big a space. If they are living in the dirt, then just make sure the dirt dries out. they will move when the dirt is no longer moist at all. you can provide a testube set in the outworld that is covered to make it dark, and they may move into that. you then can wait until they are bigger to move them back into the hybrid.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Nj6000 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:54 am
Did you have a barrier in the outworld ?
Not sure what you mean... I do have a kid over the top (it's one of the AC outworlds) so I don't think they could have gotten out, and there is a Vaseline layer on the underside lip.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Idahoantguy

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am
How big was the colony when you moved them? they may have been too small in number and found the hybrid to be too big a space. If they are living in the dirt, then just make sure the dirt dries out. they will move when the dirt is no longer moist at all. you can provide a testube set in the outworld that is covered to make it dark, and they may move into that. you then can wait until they are bigger to move them back into the hybrid.
I believe there was about 20 workers in the colony, which might have been a little small. Ok, I have been keeping the outworld pretty moist so I'll let it dry out and have a test tube setup in there. I'm going out of town for a bit so hopefully they move in then!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2