Hey I could use some help identifying a few queens.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Proverbs66

Re: Hey I could use some help identifying a few queens.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:42 pm
The first queen is a Formica social parasite from the sanguinea group. She will need Formica pupae if you are going to keep her.

The other two Formica can't be identified to the species with the given photographs.
Have you ever successfully raised a social parasite? And if so how did you do it because I heard it was super difficult :?
Let us remember that even though ants are wonderful creatures, even more magnificent is their creator 😌

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 am

Proverbs66 wrote:
Have you ever successfully raised a social parasite? And if so how did you do it because I heard it was super difficult :?
Social parasites are different depending on the genus and species, and I've had multiple successes with both Lasius and Formica social parasites. Formica are easy, because they can open cocoons, although the raiding species are often dependent on their host workers over the long term.

I've started colonies of Formica aserva, Formica rubicunda, Lasius umbratus, Lasius subumbratus, and (waiting on the first workers) Lasius latipes.
Nj6000 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm
Are there any social parasites in Texas ???
There are quite a few social parasites in Texas, from multiple genera.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Nj6000

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:22 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 am
Proverbs66 wrote:
Social parasites are different depending on the genus and species, and I've had multiple successes with both Lasius and Formica social parasites. Formica are easy, because they can open cocoons, although the raiding species are often dependent on their host workers over the long term.

I've started colonies of Formica aserva, Formica rubicunda, Lasius umbratus, Lasius subumbratus, and (waiting on the first workers) Lasius latipes.
Nj6000 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm
Are there any social parasites in Texas ???
There are quite a few social parasites in Texas, from multiple genera.
Can you name a few and what time of year they fly ?