Just a couple formicaria I made

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ACaseoftheMondays

Re: Just a couple formicaria I made

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey, thanks for the interest and nice comments. I'm glad you like them.

To answer Kibs76, you are correct. Most ant setups are comprised of two parts: a formicarium (nest), and an outworld, or arena (foraging area). These would need to be complimented with outworlds, where you would feed them, clean up their garbage, and otherwise interact with them. As far as the hydration, there is the tube on top, connected to just a cavity/ tube-shaped chamber in the center of the grout, which in turn has exposed sponge at the bottom of that reservoir.

For anyone who wants to make their own, here is a link with some instructions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ants/comments/6nwvu2/easy_and_fun_to_make_formicaria/

If you do, please share with us and show us how it turned out!
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Kibs76

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 pm

i read threw this and then had my Girlfriend read threw it not sure how hard it actually is but It sounded hard. I still wanna try it but didnt understand without pictures :(

Jadeninja9

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Wow, those formicaria look super dope. I would make them if I had another genus of ants beside Camponotus. I'm thinking a cork nest for Camponotus ants would be really cool cause they could chew out their own nest, and the structure would be pretty cool to look at too.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Kibs76

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

corknest would be cool to see too. next week i am probably ordering one large omni nest and see how that goes but i still wanna try making my own stuff.

Hikari

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Ok, these are REALLY cool! I'll definitely have to try making some at some point! Thanks for posting the instructions!

ACaseoftheMondays

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:41 am

Kibs76 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 pm
i read threw this and then had my Girlfriend read threw it not sure how hard it actually is but It sounded hard. I still wanna try it but didnt understand without pictures :(
Check out the links at the bottom of the instructions if you haven't. Her stuff is very helpful, and I just adapted it to work on a concave surface. The biggest difference is the location of the water reservoir, which I have added this pic to the instructions to help clarify that part. Hopefully, this helps. (After you have poured the grout and it is hardened, this tube will be removed through the hole, leaving a cavity behind. Then a new tube can be placed atop it at the end.)
Founding:
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

ACaseoftheMondays

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 pm

I have connected one of these to one of my Tetramorium colonies, so if and when they decide to move in, I will post some pics.
Founding:
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Nj6000

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 pm

ACaseoftheMondays wrote:

To answer Kibs76, you are correct. Most ant setups are comprised of two parts: a formicarium (nest), and an outworld, or arena (foraging area). These would need to be complimented with outworlds, where you would feed them, clean up their garbage, and otherwise interact with them. As far as the hydration, there is the tube on top, connected to just a cavity/ tube-shaped chamber in the center of the grout, which in turn has exposed sponge at the bottom of that reservoir.

Can you make a video on how to make these formicariums ? I know you made some instructions but it would be easier to make if you made a video on it .

tiger01vincent

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Nj6000 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 pm
ACaseoftheMondays wrote:

Can you make a video on how to make these formicariums ? I know you made some instructions but it would be easier to make if you made a video on it .
ye start a Youtube channel ;)
<3 Thanks!
Email: vincent.bystrom@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010099860866

Otherwise just DM me