Am i worrying to much?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntOblivion

Am i worrying to much?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 pm

So my camponotus pennsylvanicus colony has decided to store their brood right by the cotton i would have to take out to feed them. what should i do?
In-case you're curious here's a picture of them
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0a578PrgWPpNWJfdXg2WmJnMTJqQWZ6eGN0ckZFSk5lWmU0

idahoantgirl

Re: Am i worrying to much?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Just work around it carefully. I would suggest placing the entire tube in an outworld. Then take a small section of drinking straw (1/2 to 1 inch) And stick it between the cotton and the side of the tube. This way they can exit the nest and forage for themselves instead of you having to disturb them by tearing out the cotton and ramming a giant cricket leg in there :lol:
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntOblivion

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Just work around it carefully. I would suggest placing the entire tube in an outworld. Then take a small section of drinking straw (1/2 to 1 inch) And stick it between the cotton and the side of the tube. This way they can exit the nest and forage for themselves instead of you having to disturb them by tearing out the cotton and ramming a giant cricket leg in there :lol:
Thanks! Would you suggest using the straw, or could I just remove the cotton in the first place in the outworld?

idahoantgirl

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm

AntOblivion wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Thanks! Would you suggest using the straw, or could I just remove the cotton in the first place in the outworld?
Naw, I would use the straw. It helps them feel like its more of a nest. (think of having a house with only three walls. It wouldn't be very comfortable

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

AntOblivion

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm
AntOblivion wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Naw, I would use the straw. It helps them feel like its more of a nest. (think of having a house with only three walls. It wouldn't be very comfortable
Alright! Thank you i just ordered fluon and i already have an outworld ready so when the fluon arrives i will put them in there

idahoantgirl

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm

yeah... You probably don't need fluon. You can use other cheaper barriers. Camponotus can barely climb well at all.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

AntOblivion

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:35 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm
yeah... You probably don't need fluon. You can use other cheaper barriers. Camponotus can barely climb well at all.
well thats what i heard but my subbarbatus colony i used Vaseline and the worker went right past the barrier and got out