I thought i caught 2 ant queens

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nickvaes

I thought i caught 2 ant queens

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:03 am

Hey guys, So when I was on holiday in germany ( I live in belgium ) i saw these beautyfull red and black ants, and when i saw a queen i decided to catch it, not sure if she would survive i caught another one ( i thought ) because 2 weeks later she hasnt layed eggs. So i starting to think its not a queen at all but im kinda confused.

My second ant is bigger than other ants has a bigger thorax, however she has a smaller abdomen than my queen. So i dont know if it is a queen but cant lay eggs. Or is it jst a huge major? However they are the same size as lasius niger ants and they dont have majors. What do you guys think?

Pics queen ant 1

Pics ( queen ) ant 2

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:11 am

1st Is DeFinitely A Queen Ant; Where's The Other Image For The 2nd Queen?
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

nickvaes

Re: ID Request

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:16 am

Phoenix wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:11 am
1st Is DeFinitely A Queen Ant; Where's The Other Image For The 2nd Queen?
Added them all now.

Jadeninja9

Re: I thought i caught 2 ant queens

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:58 am

Well the first one has layed eggs. I don't know the species though. I think the second queen could maybe be a Camponotus queen but I'm not sure.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

nickvaes

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:08 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:58 am
Well the first one has layed eggs. I don't know the species though. I think the second queen could maybe be a Camponotus queen but I'm not sure.
The second one hasnt layed any eggs and only tried to escape by pulling off small pieces of the cotton, i feel like its not a queen since she hasnt calmed down at all even afther a week in pure darkness.

Serafine

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 pm

She may just be unmated.

nickvaes

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Thats the same i thought but why did she lost her wings than? Queens lose there wings when they are looking for a nest to lay there eggs right?

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:12 pm

I think they are both Formica (the first queen could possibly be Lasius emarginatus, but it is hard to tell from the one angle). The second one is a Formica social parasite, which probably explains her behavior while alone in the test tube. She will need 6-10 Formica pupae if you want to keep her.

Don't feed your queens in the test tube unless it is on a removable tray, or else you will be inviting potentially harmful mold (thick, semi-dried sugary liquid is also easy to get stuck in).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

nickvaes

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:59 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:12 pm
I think they are both Formica (the first queen could possibly be Lasius emarginatus, but it is hard to tell from the one angle). The second one is a Formica social parasite, which probably explains her behavior while alone in the test tube. She will need 6-10 Formica pupae if you want to keep her.

Don't feed your queens in the test tube unless it is on a removable tray, or else you will be inviting potentially harmful mold (thick, semi-dried sugary liquid is also easy to get stuck in).
How can i give her 6-10 formica pupae? She should lay eggs herself?

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:05 am

Social parsites will not lay eggs until they have host workers. You can offer the pupae in an adjoined test tube, which the queen will horde almost immediately upon discovery.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.