Camponotus castaneus....

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Camponotus castaneus....

Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Any information is much appreciated but I live in Tennessee in the US. Camponotus castaneus is the main species I want and I have done my research on them...trust me :D . So I guess I'm looking for when and where would be a good time to look for them in my area. It's different in every state (kinda) and curious is I may be to late or what. Thanks so much guys.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

idahoantgirl

Re: Camponotus castaneus....

Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 pm
Any information is much appreciated but I live in Tennessee in the US. Camponotus castaneus is the main species I want and I have done my research on them...trust me :D . So I guess I'm looking for when and where would be a good time to look for them in my area. It's different in every state (kinda) and curious is I may be to late or what. Thanks so much guys.
In mikey's video he said that may was the best time to find it
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

xTNxANTMANx

Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

That's what I'm hoping for. I have read they fly at night and I work afternoon shift (3pm-11pm) so maybe I can get lucky and happen to find soom after work one night. I wish i still worked midnight shift (11pm-7am). I would be waking at the best time to look in the afternoon/night and gettin off at the best time in the mornings. But im not that lucky lol
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Tue May 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Batspiderfish, Martialis, or someone experienced.... tonight makes the fifth night in the past week and a half that I have seen numerous Camponotus castaneus drones but no queens. They swarm around the light poles on the ground at my work when I take my 9:00 break at night. Am I missing the flight or is it just beginning or what? I look everywhere around the parking lot and even in the grass, around trees, you name it and have yet to spot a queen amongst all the drones. Could you give me any insight on this subject?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 am

I've never kept this species, but have found a drone.

I believe C. castaneus i sone of the more diturnal Camponotus out there, so you're probably getting out there as things wrap up. You still may be able to find queens at this time, though.

I would refer to this chart for times ants fly:
http://www.formiculture.com/index.php/topic/181-ant-mating-chart
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 am

Not that I never see Camponotus queens at lights, but it seems that the drones which haven't mated are the ones flying at night. The majority of Camponotus queens I see are active during the day. I have never seen C. castaneus in my state, so there's not much other help I can offer, unfortunately.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 pm

From all that i have read, Camponotus castaneus like to fly rite at/around dark and so far, that is the only time I even see the drones. I know the queens have to be around because of all the drones :D so maybe I'll get lucky. If not, then there's always next year. Plus, my Camponotus subbarbatus colonies and pennsylvanicus queens are doing great! I took a peek at my pennsylvanicus queens last night and think I saw one of them with their first worker. I'm going to get a better look when I get off of work tonight. I try to look at the good side of things :D. Thanks once again.

Also, I actually have that chart downloaded on my phone. The North American one that is :-). There are many times I have referred to that chart. Most of the time I try to research questions before I ask and get the answers myself. I have an idea of when most species fly now.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Well, I'll have you guys know I finally found me a Camponotus castaneus queen tonight! :D The weeks of searching finally paid off. I'm going to post pictures for an ID to make 110% sure but I already know she's the one. She's absolutely beautiful. By far my favorite....
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Theantguy13

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:45 am

Congrats!
Man everyone new on this forum is getting camponotus queens! Where's mine? :(

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:46 pm

In an above post I mentioned that I had read that Camponotus castaneus like to fly at night. I can honestly attest to this. I now have 2 Camponotus castaneus queens and both were found right after dark along with many males in the vicinity both times. I am a little nervous about the second one I caught though... I have had her 4 days as of today and today is the 1st I have checked on her and she still hasn't shed her wings. Now I know they all don't shed their wings right away and can even have them for a while but my other Queen didn't have wings when I caught her and already has about eight eggs. Should I be worried that she possibly didn't mate or with all the males that were around do you guys think I will be okay and just being overly anxious about her still having her wings?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2