Ants Abandoning Test Tube

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Austheboss

Ants Abandoning Test Tube

Thu May 18, 2017 3:09 pm

So, I have a weird problem, not sure it's really that important, but wanted some advice anyways. So, last year, I caught a Formica Subsericea Queen, which hatched 3 workers immediately before hibernation. I have been keeping them in the test tube and also feeding them in there, until recently realizing that I should probably give them an outworld. So, I put their test tube in a container and unplugged the cotton, giving them some honey to drink from on a toothpick outside the test tube. Their old test tube was dirty and also running low on water, but no mold as far as I can see. I did this yesterday. However, today when I went to check up on them, the queen and two workers were running around outside the test tube in the outworld! One was still caring for their 2 pupae in the test tube. I put in a new test tube and put food in it.
Sorry for the long intro...
Anyways, why did this happen? Also, will they move into the new test tube? I keep them in my attic, which is very hot and dark.
Thanks in advance!
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

Aquaexploder

Re: Ants Abandoning Test Tube

Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

They might, but don't worry. The queen knows where the best place to live is (most of the time).
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Austheboss

Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks!
Yah I guess the best thing to do is just to wait, but I wanted to see any input or ideas.
Also, I just found two queens.....Both had wings but weren't flying.

Austheboss

Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 am

The ants are still not in their test tubes :?
I don't know why, they are still just hanging in the outworld, all three of them, with the 2 pupae.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

ultraex2

Fri May 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Don't worry about it too much, just let them do their thing - they'll figure out where they want to stay and settle down.

Austheboss

Sun May 21, 2017 1:59 pm

They still have not moved into their tube. It's sunday and this started on Thursday.
My only idea at this point is to put an LED light above them so that the feel exposed and then move into the covered test tube. Does this sound like a good idea or is there something else I can do? Thanks!