Ant Carbs?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Ant Carbs?

Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello beautiful AC fam. Give me some good examples of carbs you feed your ants.. mostly because I don't see Human carbs the same as ant carbs.. like could I give my ants a tortilla chip and call that carbs? Could I give them bread and call that carbs? I feel like lots of hard processed foods they would just ignore if it didn't have a sugary substance or protein source right? I'm just curious what 'filler' foods you give your ants.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Batspiderfish

Re: Ant Carbs?

Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Carbohydrates are a group of organic compounds that, when oxidized, will produce carbon dioxide and water. Glucose is one of the most useful energy sources for the body, although fatty acids can also be used. A chip, for example, has carbohydrates in the form of starch (how plants store glucose), cellulose (a.k.a. fiber, a structural form similar to starch that most animals cannot digest), and whatever sugars came from the plant or were added during production. Oils found within seeds or added to chips provide energy in the form of triglycerides. So you see, carbohydrates and other energy sources are diverse.

Most ants can only digest the more basic forms of carbohydrates: sugars, specifically glucose, fructose, and their disaccharide, sucrose (table sugar). They drink it in liquid form, either from plant secretions or second-hand, from plant lice like aphids. Proteins and plant fats can make for secondary energy sources, but these are not sufficient for most ants.

Myrmicinae is a subfamily including Tetramorium, Solenopsis, and Pogonomyrmex. One thing that many (but not all) of the ants in this group have in common is their ability to digest starches and utilize seeds as energy and protein sources. If your ant doesn't belong to this subfamily, then you definitely cannot expect them to be able to eat a chip.

TLDR: In general, you should only be giving your ants insects for protein, and sugary liquid for carbohydrates.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Barfdog

Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 pm
Carbohydrates are a group of organic compounds that, when oxidized, will produce carbon dioxide and water. Glucose is one of the most useful energy sources for the body, although fatty acids can also be used. A chip, for example, has carbohydrates in the form of starch (how plants store glucose), cellulose (a.k.a. fiber, a structural form similar to starch that most animals cannot digest), and whatever sugars came from the plant or were added during production. Oils found within seeds or added to chips provide energy in the form of triglycerides. So you see, carbohydrates and other energy sources are diverse.

Most ants can only digest the more basic forms of carbohydrates: sugars, specifically glucose, fructose, and their disaccharide, sucrose (table sugar). They drink it in liquid form, either from plant secretions or second-hand, from plant lice like aphids. Proteins and plant fats can make for secondary energy sources, but these are not sufficient for most ants.

Myrmicinae is a subfamily including Tetramorium, Solenopsis, and Pogonomyrmex. One thing that many (but not all) of the ants in this group have in common is their ability to digest starches and utilize seeds as energy and protein sources. If your ant doesn't belong to this subfamily, then you definitely cannot expect them to be able to eat a chip.

TLDR: In general, you should only be giving your ants insects for protein, and sugary liquid for carbohydrates.
Thank you again Mr. BatSpiderfish for saving the day yet again and going above and beyond
Keeper of:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun May 21, 2017 9:56 am

Ok what my ants (Solenopsis) like and I feed them is crickets, sugar water, and it may sound funny but the white kitkat mini's. LOL I'll give them one of those and they will eat the white chocolate and the wafers too, kinda funny watching them tunnel thru it. So they get their proteins, sugars, and whatever the wafers in the candy may provide.

Are they happy and thriving? Oh yea!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Barfdog

Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:56 am
Ok what my ants (Solenopsis) like and I feed them is crickets, sugar water, and it may sound funny but the white kitkat mini's. LOL I'll give them one of those and they will eat the white chocolate and the wafers too, kinda funny watching them tunnel thru it. So they get their proteins, sugars, and whatever the wafers in the candy may provide.

Are they happy and thriving? Oh yea!
Heck yeah, thanks Vampy. I was thinking about giving mine some Reeses cups once they get massive in numbers before I read this so that was pretty funny. Gonna kill some time on your youtube channel now :lol:
Keeper of: