Camponatus workers dying after hibernation

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

tlrieman76

Camponatus workers dying after hibernation

Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

My son has a camponatus queen that had 7-8 workers before hibernation. Now after hibernation the workers seem to be dying. There are eggs and larvae and a few workers about to emerge. Are we doing ok? I just found a new queen tonight while out watering new grass in the lawn. We had so much trouble finding the first queen now we have two. I hope the second has also been with a male already. So are we going to end up with two colonies or is first done for?

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Camponatus workers dying after hibernation

Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 pm

As long as your queen is still laying eggs and producing more workers I think you'll be okay. I have yet to go through the hibernation stage as I did not find the queen last year unfortunately so as for information on that I can't help. Just give it time and as long as she still had some workers then I wouldn't stress out too much.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 am

Camponotus can be sensitive ants. I find it's best to makes sure that they have frequent access to fresh food (sugar and protein) and a fresh living space in case anything about their old home becomes uncomfortable. They have access to a foraging area, right?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

tlrieman76

Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 am

Batspiderfish

They are still in test tube because there were so few workers. Haven't hooked them up to outworkd yet.

Martialis

Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am

More than three, they need an outworld.
Keeper of

Selliing:

tlrieman76

Re: Camponotus workers dying after hibernation

Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Martialis wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am
More than three, they need an outworld.
My son must have misunderstood the videos on AntsCanada YouTube channel. He thought he needed 15-40 workers before hooking up out-world.

Side note: We tried so many times to find one last year and he finally found one in mid June. I found 2 in last 14 hours while not even looking. The one I found at lunch today is missing both wings and is kind of lethargic. I found her upside down on the steps of our state capital building.

Batspiderfish

Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 pm

The 20+ worker rule refers to when you can move them to a formicarium, although it sounds like you've caught on. They should have access to an outworld soon after the first workers arrive. You can just place the tube in any container with vertical walls, lined them with talcum/rubbing alcohol (after it dries).

Some Camponotus queens won't make it, because they are frequently parasatized by flies.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.