Outworld as a formicarium?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

PhatGaster

Outworld as a formicarium?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Can I house a colony in an outworld? I'm thinking of creating an outworld with grout and having a small formicarium sized thin section of area blocked off and then after the grout hardens fill that area with sand so that they can dig their own nest. That way I can view their nest against the glass and their outworld. Also plan to block off tubes in the sand for hydration, or maybe just have a test tube out or misting. Is it a good idea? Any unforseen dangers, benefits?
Beginner keeper of Prenolepis Imparis and Formica pallidefulva. Would appreciate all the help I can

martinnate

Re: Outworld as a formicarium?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 pm

I think that would look cool, if u try it please post so we can see. What Queen are u going to try it out with?

PhatGaster

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm gunnar try it with one of my personal F. pallidefulva queens. She doesn't have the numbers to move into a formicarium yet but I'm planning ahead. Mostly it's to save money on a formicarium and outworld. I think AntsCanada did it with one of the Solenopsis geminata satellite nests.
Beginner keeper of Prenolepis Imparis and Formica pallidefulva. Would appreciate all the help I can

JackPayne

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 pm

PhatGaster wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:24 pm
I'm gunnar try it with one of my personal F. pallidefulva queens. She doesn't have the numbers to move into a formicarium yet but I'm planning ahead. Mostly it's to save money on a formicarium and outworld. I think AntsCanada did it with one of the Solenopsis geminata satellite nests.
Don't use grout, try and use soil.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

PhatGaster

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Well the grout is so they don't nest where I don't want them to nest and shouldn't mold or cause health problems. The soil or sand will be in the section I want them to nest, mainly up against the glass to view them.

martinnate

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Yes I saw Mikeys vid but he made like a cave for them to nest in.

twgun1

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I like the sand idea, as it give them freedom to dig out and block off chambers. But if you want to be more in control of their living space, I would recommend making a model of the nest chambers with modeling clay or Playdoh, if that makes sense.Then covering the sides and bottom (and clay) with plastic wrap. (To protect the sides and make it so you can pull it out.) Next pour on your grout and decorate your outworld part. Once its done drying, using the plastic wrap pull out the grout (and the decorations!). Now carefully pull out your clay. Once done, glue the grout (you don't have to)(with nontoxic glue) down. Now your done!