Prenolepis Imparis Nutrition

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

PhatGaster

Prenolepis Imparis Nutrition

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 am

Begginer ant keeper. I recently caught some Winter Ant Queens and they just laid eggs.I'm wondering if there fully or semi claustral and if semi what should I feed them. I know ants need sugar and protein but I've heard rumours that Winter Ants are picky. Some nutrition guidance for when the first workers arrive would also be appreciated. Thanks :D
Beginner keeper of Prenolepis Imparis and Formica pallidefulva. Would appreciate all the help I can

ultraex2

Re: Prenolepis Imparis Nutrition

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:30 am

They are fully claustral and it will probably take about 2 months for the first workers to hatch.
For sugars I have seen people feed them honey and sugar water.
For proteins, I've read people in journals feeding them wax worms and I know in AntsCanada's video on them they were fed turkey. In the wild I have observed them eating earthworms and soil centipedes (the small, yellow ones).
Hope this helps!

Serafine

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Just apply the sugars in SMALL drops (or in other forms like cotton soaked with sugar water) so the ants cannot drown in it.

PhatGaster

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 pm

Thanks so much for the help. Patiently waiting for the day they hatch. I'm going to start looking for raw honey and wax worms right away
Beginner keeper of Prenolepis Imparis and Formica pallidefulva. Would appreciate all the help I can

Serafine

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:27 am

You don't need raw honey (in fact raw honey spoils very quickly due to all the bacteria inside). Simple sugar water will be enough for their first meal, even organic fruit juice does the job (i know someone who raised their Camponotus pennsylvanicus with organic fruit juice and they're doing well).
My Camponotus actually love maple syrup.

Just try to offer them a broad (pesticide-free) diet and they'll be okay. as long as you manage to avoid pesticides most ants aren't very picky.

galacticat

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:28 pm

honey is naturally antiseptic and does not spoil

cjerg9

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm

galacticat wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:28 pm
honey is naturally antiseptic and does not spoil
No I think what they mean is it has been cured, almost pasteurised like cows milk. Most honey is usually heated before reaching the shelves to help preserve it.

Jager89

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:32 pm

lol its also a dead post most of the people who posted have deleted their accounts