I Cannot find a queen

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Re: I Cannot find a queen

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm
I'll try to put something together for you both in a day or so. I have a database I've been working on, but I've been preoccupied by life and other projects to mess with it.
Ok thanks! That would be helpful to not only me but many other hobbyists

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:54 pm

I have looked at the one at formiculture.com and from what it's saying, the majority of the queens found means nuptial flights are just getting started with the bulk of them in late April through June.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:47 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:54 pm
I have looked at the one at formiculture.com and from what it's saying, the majority of the queens found means nuptial flights are just getting started with the bulk of them in late April through June.
Yea I have heard that too. I think it is a little different in tropical regions

Jadeninja9

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm
I'll try to put something together for you both in a day or so. I have a database I've been working on, but I've been preoccupied by life and other projects to mess with it.
That would be pretty cool
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Here yah go. Download it, and it will open in your browser. It includes surrounding states for more complete data.

Florida:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Pcwjl6XsJWTUUzQ3FjME1vSEE

Tennessee (not many records from your state):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Pcwjl6XsJWZXhkV2E2S2N5Y1k
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Thank you so much! :D This will help a lot. Now, have a question on how to use it. Under the "alate" bar it says "true" and/or "false" does this mean that they were spotted or not?

Also, I have very good news! I have found queens today! I found a RIFA queen again :roll: and what I think to be either a Pheidole or pavement ant queen. I will put some pics on the other forum for ID's. I also found some Brachymyrmex queens, 3 of them. So if you can, go check out my post!

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 pm
Thank you so much! :D This will help a lot. Now, have a question on how to use it. Under the "alate" bar it says "true" and/or "false" does this mean that they were spotted or not?
An alate is a winged ant, so if it is true, then the reproductive found was a male or winged female. If it is false, then the record is of a dealate queen. This is more valuable from a statistical standpoint than for finding queens, but I decided to leave it in your copies anyways.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Ok thanks. I haven't posted my ID's yet. About to now.