False Honeypot Ants/Queen Care. (Prenolepis imparis)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

tasched

False Honeypot Ants/Queen Care. (Prenolepis imparis)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:31 am

I have recently gotten into keeping ants and made a plan to try to catch queens on the first warm day of spring.

I got lucky and caught 10 Prenolepis imparis queen!

I have heard you can/should keep them cooler in general as opposed to other ants and that they may seem boring to some as they "don't do a lot".

About 6 out of 10 have laid eggs so far, no deaths.

Do you have any tips?

When should I move them from their test tubes?

xTNxANTMANx

Re: False Honeypot Ants/Queen Care. (Prenolepis imparis)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 pm

I wish I could find this species. Seems everyone up north is finding them like crazy so I may have missed them here in TN. Great picture btw
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Aquaexploder

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 am

Hi, I'm starting my own colony too and here are some of the things I learned.

The are a claustral species.

They are more polygyne the further toward the equator they are.

They like cool temperatures around 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Check up on them after two weeks (they should have laid eggs about now)

The "hibernate" during the summer.

If you would like more information I would recommend watching this: https://youtu.be/wcSBXPsvH6o

You can move them from there test tube when they have at least 10 workers.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Jadeninja9

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am

You could keep some queens together since they're truly polygamous. Just not all though because there's still a small chance that they will fight. And also, the queens only lay one batch of eggs per year so they are pretty slow growing with just one queen.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

techno2560

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:38 pm

I had found 3 of these queens a week and a half ago, slowly i had introduced them to each other and now they are all in a tube peacefully. I'll admit for the first 30 seconds it looked like they would nip at each other but that had quickly stopped. Fast forward 1 week and now they have started to lay eggs, probably only one of the queens are laying atm, but the others shouldn't be much longer either.

My queens were found in Connecticut, in case you wanted to know to compare to the "equator" rumor, though i still haven't found solid sources on this species to be polygyny.

tasched

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:57 pm

I was considering placing two together to see how it would work, but I am not experienced in ant keeping, and am worried about handling them wrong/too often and stressing them out as I have heard they may eat their own eggs/not lay eggs.

They have all laid eggs, is it still safe to try and move one queen into another tube?

I was looking at a minihearth from tarheel ants, would it be better to move two queens into that instead?

Or should I maybe try taping the tubes together (with air holes, of course.) and see how they react?

Aquaexploder

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 am

I would attempt to introduce them to each other when they are ready to move into a formicarium. However if you find more next year I would recommend that you put them together in a test tube setup first thing.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

techno2560

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 pm

tasched wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:57 pm
I was considering placing two together to see how it would work, but I am not experienced in ant keeping, and am worried about handling them wrong/too often and stressing them out as I have heard they may eat their own eggs/not lay eggs.

They have all laid eggs, is it still safe to try and move one queen into another tube?

I was looking at a minihearth from tarheel ants, would it be better to move two queens into that instead?

Or should I maybe try taping the tubes together (with air holes, of course.) and see how they react?
I've placed mine in a tube together before they had laid eggs, i will say it's safe to assume it might be a bad idea to move them at this moment and instead wait until you find other queens to test it with. If you're confident, wait until they are old enough to move into a formicarium. Truthfully when my 3 start to hatch workers i'll be placing them inside a Inception Chamber, Large (3" diameter) with the random pattern, but that's my own opinion.

I have the Mini Hearth,the one with the outworld on top, i personally enjoy it though i would like to try a different layout for multiple queens.

tasched

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:59 pm

I have some great news, one of my queen has her first set of workers.

Anyone have any tips on when to feed them, and where I might find more information on an optimal diet?

I have heard that nanitics may not need to be fed, and was hoping someone could verify if this were the case for Prenolepis Imparis.

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:15 am

They don't need to be fed right away, but there's no harm in ushering in the next part of their life, where they'll be foraging outside of the test tube. If you're placing the tube directly in the foraging arena, it often helps to wrap cotton around a piece of a straw or air pump tubing so that they don't need to expend energy plugging it up themselves (make note of whether or not the queen would be able to fit through). I usually begin feeding my ants when I see them tugging on the cotton, or else a little while after the first workers mature past the pale, callow stage.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.