what to feed a semi-c. queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsSA

what to feed a semi-c. queen

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:53 pm

so if you didnt know i recently caught 2 ponerine sp queens and am wonder ing if having some dead big headed ants ,half baby meal worms and drops of sugar water will do
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

Fulkol

Re: what to feed a semi-c. queen

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Yes most likely, I feed my 2 semi queens cricket/mealworm parts, fruit flies, some random citrus fruit, honeywater and they are doing fine as far as I can tell

AntsSA

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks. Just out of interest what species. Do you have?
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

Fulkol

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 pm

An Ectomomyrmex astutus with 2 developed larvae
and a Myrmica that I have no further info of as for now but they are mostly semi so I'm feeding her just to make sure

Ectomomyrmex is living in her outworld terrarium currently not connected to the huge ytong nest (1k+ worker capacity) because they are tropical species and require humidity over 70% and constant 25+ Celsius. I saw her dragging a half mealworm back to the moss on a rotten wood where she currently dwells, also she captured and ate a fruit fly I placed living inside the terrarium.

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Small invertebrates like Drosophila are perfect for semi-claustral queens. If you have trouble finding them in your area, you could always make food for them (most kinds of flour or mashed root vegetable, mixed with vinegar) and wait for the flies to come to you. Winged flies aren't as convenient, but they are just as easy to cultivate.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:13 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Small invertebrates like Drosophila are perfect for semi-claustral queens. If you have trouble finding them in your area, you could always make food for them (most kinds of flour or mashed root vegetable, mixed with vinegar) and wait for the flies to come to you. Winged flies aren't as convenient, but they are just as easy to cultivate.
For some reason I never thought of cultivating fruit flies. Most small species enjoy them as food correct?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Fulkol

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:27 am

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:13 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
For some reason I never thought of cultivating fruit flies. Most small species enjoy them as food correct?
Yes, and the feeder insects nutrition level often depends on what you feed them, so if you keep your fruit flies "healthy" with root vegetables and some source of sugar they will be plentiful juicy source of protein for your ants