Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Cale3459

Re: Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:35 pm

They would be pretty exposed if they did. It's kind of like an open cave there really isn't any getting underneath it. I would be more concerned with them moving into the tubes running through the grout. My queen is pretty stubborn about moving though so I'm really not worried about her moving out of the nest.

Cale3459

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Today's experiment: strawberry, raspberry, or blackberry? Since the absolutely refuse apple (which I always have in my house).

Cale3459

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Came home from a weekend out of town and the ants had eaten all the fruit and the cricket I left out for them! Also I had two Asian beetles crash in my outworld that the colony then got ahold of. In case you are wondering this is bad for ants. I had to watch one spasm and die for messing with the beetles. Fortunately I was able to lift the glass and get the beetles before anymore ants died.

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am

Oh man, with not many workers, I know that had to make ya feel bad. To bad there's not an "Ant-Vet" for times like that lol. I really like keeping track of this journal btw.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

I'm curious- what do you mean by Asian beetles?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Cale3459

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Martialis wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am
I'm curious- what do you mean by Asian beetles?
The invasive species that look like lady bugs but are not lady bugs. We get huge swarms of them here in Illinois during the fall trying to get inside for the winter to where entire sides of houses are covered. They bite, they have a nasty odor, they leave a residue behind wherever they go, and they supposedly taste bad due to the oil they secrete so nothing can eat them. The ones that got inside for the winter are now becoming active again trying to leave the house.

Cale3459

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Here is a wiki article about them if you are curious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

Cale3459

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am
Oh man, with not many workers, I know that had to make ya feel bad. To bad there's not an "Ant-Vet" for times like that lol. I really like keeping track of this journal btw.
Yeah, after the beetle incident I am down to 10 workers now. I think I am going to attempt to brood boost this colony due to the struggle they have had. Thanks for the support, I really enjoy sharing updates with everyone. I hope that it inspires others that either don't have a colony yet or are just starting one. Hopefully they can learn things from my journal as well.

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm

This species is the number 1 I want to keep. I love their color and size and they are big enough that with my mag. glass (10x) I'd be able to see sooo much detail. I can even see great detail on my Tapinoma colony and they are tiny so I can't wait till I get this sp. If you do brood boost, be sure to let us know how it goes plz :-)!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cale3459

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Despite their hardship due to the Asian beetles I still have a nice stash of eggs. The pupae in the second picture are just shells (they don't seem too keen on keeping a clean nest. Third picture has two pupae developing.