Will GMO affect my ants?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Will GMO affect my ants?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:49 pm

So, I know that GMO is supposed to kill bugs when they eat it. If I fed my ants a fruit or vegetable that had GMO would this affect them?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Fulkol

Re: Will GMO affect my ants?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:07 pm

As far as my knowledge goes GMO crops are usually treated with the BT protein ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis ), you can do a little research on it but I fear it does affect ants as well

Batspiderfish

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Crops are genetically modified to improve yield or nutrition, resist chemicals like herbicide/insecticide, or to produce chemicals of their own. Plants modified to produce Bt toxin are supposed to only be effective against caterpillars, but they may have some detrimental effect on the health of other insects (bees, for instance) without being outright lethal. Available evidence would suggest that bees and their cousins are not affected by Bt toxin unless their health is already in decline.

Too bad that in the United States, we have no way of knowing how produce at the store has been modified except if the strain hasn't been modified at all (disregarding gene flow that can spread through pollen).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 pm
Crops are genetically modified to improve yield or nutrition, resist chemicals like herbicide/insecticide, or to produce chemicals of their own. Plants modified to produce Bt toxin are supposed to only be effective against caterpillars, but they may have some detrimental effect on the health of other insects (bees, for instance) without being outright lethal. Available evidence would suggest that bees and their cousins are not affected by Bt toxin unless their health is already in decline.

Too bad that in the United States, we have no way of knowing how produce at the store has been modified except if the strain hasn't been modified at all (disregarding gene flow that can spread through pollen).
so like corn syrup? What effect would it have on them? or is ti ok
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:24 am

Refined foods are probable going to be safe.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 am

Organically grown, non-GMO food does not mean that it hasn't been treated with Bt toxin. The organic way to apply it is to spray the field with bacteria which produce it.

And then there's this extremely important facet to interpreting labels:
"I have since realized that Evolution is a lie, a false religion. There is no credible evidence to support Evolution. I looked and found none."