Camponotus subbarbatus questions

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Camponotus subbarbatus questions

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 am

So I have three Camponotus subbarbatus queens in test tubes and two of which have workers already. My question is when should I start giving protein and sugars? I think I should be since there are workers now but I am just wanting to make sure. One has three workers and the other has 5 or 6 i believe. Also does anyone have any suggestions what I should offer them? I have termites atm I use to feed my Aphaenogaster colonys. Would those work since there are so few workers?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

JackPayne

Re: Camponotus subbarbatus questions

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:32 am

Definitely feed them something, because your queen ants energy banks will have all but run dry.
Either protein or sugar is fine as far as I know just give them something for some sustainance. :D :idea:
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Ok so I have yet another question :), as you know, 2 of these have workers already...I have been reading/researching and my question is, should I put these in a foraging area to feed them or feed them directly in the test tube as I have been? They are doing great as is but I know they will want a place to dump their garbage...so yea. What would be the better solution? I have been cleaning their waste up out the test tube but also know it may cause the queens a little stress by doing so. Thanks again everyone.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

JackPayne

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 pm
Ok so I have yet another question :), as you know, 2 of these have workers already...I have been reading/researching and my question is, should I put these in a foraging area to feed them or feed them directly in the test tube as I have been? They are doing great as is but I know they will want a place to dump their garbage...so yea. What would be the better solution? I have been cleaning their waste up out the test tube but also know it may cause the queens a little stress by doing so. Thanks again everyone.
D you have a test tube portal? If you do use that if not, just use a little plastic container to place food.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 pm

I have homemade test tube portals :). Roughly the same size but only $0.88! Can't beat that lol. Though they require like 15 mins of drilling and all that (they are thin clear plastic containers). I shall post pics when I get home later. I was thinking of using one tho.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

JackPayne

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
I have homemade test tube portals :). Roughly the same size but only $0.88! Can't beat that lol. Though they require like 15 mins of drilling and all that (they are thin clear plastic containers). I shall post pics when I get home later. I was thinking of using one tho.
That's a good idea. I'd also like to see them, they seem like a good cheep alternative for portals.

JackPayne

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:50 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
That's a good idea. I'd also like to see them, they seem like a good cheep alternative for portals.

Jadeninja9

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Teach me your ways
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 pm

:), sure thing. I need roughly...4 hrs till I get home from work and I'll take pics of b4 and after. I'll let you guys know what I did and where I got them. The only thing I still need to do is the lids...I've got to find/buy screen small enough. I have found some on eBay but still looking to make sure I get the best. I like the screen AC uses on the bottom of their nests but can't seem to find anything like it.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 am

Hey guys, if you check out the tab "Formicariums and Setups" you will see my homemade test tube portals... Hope you guys like it and hope it helps with your ant setups :-). Tell me what y'all think too
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2