Hydration Opinions

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Cale3459

Hydration Opinions

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I am keeping Camponotus pennsylvanicus in a hybrid nest. They are located in my basement which has a humidity level between 40-50% at any time based on the the reptile thermometer I keep next to the nest. Am I doing more work than I need to by keeping water in the hydration tray? I know Camponotus tend to like a dry environment so I wouldn't see why it would hurt them not to have water in the tray based on the humidity level in the basement but at the same time the hybrid nest was designed with this particular species in mind and will the humidity level in my basement permeate the nest if the tray was dry? I keep going back and forth on it. What do you guys think?

Batspiderfish

Re: Hydration Opinions

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am

I'd at least give them a water-filled test-tube in case they ever require more water.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cale3459

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
I'd at least give them a water-filled test-tube in case they ever require more water.
I have a water filled test tube connected to a T junction in between the nest and outworld. I can't see why the tray would be necessary for Camponotus since they are a dry loving species anyway and my basement is sitting at 45% humidity. I can't see why that humidity wouldn't also be in the nest without the tray. Any thoughts on why my reasoning would be off?

Batspiderfish

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 am

Cale3459 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
I have a water filled test tube connected to a T junction in between the nest and outworld. I can't see why the tray would be necessary for Camponotus since they are a dry loving species anyway and my basement is sitting at 45% humidity. I can't see why that humidity wouldn't also be in the nest without the tray. Any thoughts on why my reasoning would be off?
There is not much hard evidence behind the oft suggested humidity levels for captive ants. Most of this stuff (i.e. maturation speed, diet, and lifespan) is anecdotal. It's always better for them to have water and not need it than need water and not have it. :)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.