Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Barfdog

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 pm

mugushie wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm
MichaelJones wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm
AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Me three! I too would be happy to exchange my successes and failures of my first colony. I also am just getting started in this wonderful hobby.
Oh and that would be nice, we could learn together and become better at ant keeping.
I think due to elevation and temp difference from globe to pheonix I will be 1-2 weeks behind you guys as I am typing this there is a 16 degree temp difference from me to you guys today should have been a good day for queens due to a little rain we got over hear yesterday but nothing really and even at the hot part of the day ants were still sluggish and scarce just wanted to post observation for you guys
I've really been finding the same kind of activity hear. I was hoping for maybe finding some early tetramorium from the recent rain or maybe Solenopsis queens and been going on daily walks but no luck yet.
very sluggish indeed, however all tetramorium colonys I saw where widening nest entrances.

Mowteam

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Have people been finding queens? We need a gan farmer for Arizona

Mowteam

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:14 am

If anyone finds some tetramorium queens please private message me.

Cahoskins

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am

For the past 3 years my son and I have captured harvester ants along the canal. There are tons of them and we suck them up with our bug vacuums and put them in his big outdoor ant farm I made for him. There are lots of established colonies at the canal but we have never seen a queen. He wants a queen soooooo bad. Has anyone else had any luck near the canal?

Martialis

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm

On another forum, there's a database of ant nuptial flights. I can provide you with a link to that post. Look at the genera Pogonomyrmex, Veromessor, and Novomessor.

Most Pogonomyrmex are semi claustral.

Link:

http://www.formiculture.com/index.php/topic/181-ant-mating-chart
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Martialis wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm
On another forum, there's a database of ant nuptial flights. I can provide you with a link to that post. Look at the genera Pogonomyrmex, Veromessor, and Novomessor.

Most Pogonomyrmex are semi claustral.

Link:

http://www.formiculture.com/index.php/topic/181-ant-mating-chart
Formiculture.com is a great forum as well as this one. Just like Martialis, I am a member of both. You are bound to get answers on one or the other. Formiculture even has a chat room! Personally, I think all would benefit to become a member of both.
Keeper of:
Aphaenogaster sp
Tapinoma sessile
Camponotus subbarbatus x3