Queen ant identification request

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Queen ant identification request

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 am

Caught 3/12/17 in Phoenix AZ crawling up the wall near my work back entrance at night around 8:00pm
Size: 5mm approximately
Characteristics: very fast, still has wings
Thank you!

Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ant identification request

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Looks like Brachymyrmex sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

martinnate

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Congrats, I had a queen Brachymyrmex once, be careful, she laid a small clutch of eggs and after 6 workers she died. Now all I have is her small colony left. Good luck with her.

Barfdog

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 am

martinnate wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 pm
Congrats, I had a queen Brachymyrmex once, be careful, she laid a small clutch of eggs and after 6 workers she died. Now all I have is her small colony left. Good luck with her.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just hoping shes mated. How long did you have her tubed before she laid? And did you use a heating source? I'm wondering if I should. Thanks
Keeper of:

martinnate

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Well 1st I should tell u her back story :-) I saved her from my small water garden, she was swimming for her life, I test tubed her and within a week she started laying, several weeks later she had 6 very small workers, then I found her dead a week or 2 after. IDK if it was something I did b/c I tried to feed her. I gave honey and cricket legs. It looked like the workers were eating. Some of her workers now have extreemly large gasters and it seems like the colony is still growin. There are now about 20 workers.

Barfdog

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm

martinnate wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:56 pm
Well 1st I should tell u her back story :-) I saved her from my small water garden, she was swimming for her life, I test tubed her and within a week she started laying, several weeks later she had 6 very small workers, then I found her dead a week or 2 after. IDK if it was something I did b/c I tried to feed her. I gave honey and cricket legs. It looked like the workers were eating. Some of her workers now have extreemly large gasters and it seems like the colony is still growin. There are now about 20 workers.

I found her at about 8pm on the wall of my work near the back entrance. I scooped her up and she didn't fly away so I was pretty sure she was a queen, she just started bolting down my arm everytime I moved her between fingers. I walked over to my car with her running all over me and got my snap cap from my car. Then I DROPPED HER in the parking lot on the black as-fault and thought I'd never find her, and I did thankfully.
Keeper of:

Canadiananter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Brachymyrmex sp. I would say obsurcior or pantagonicus