How long a hybrid nest until it full ?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

MatLaf

How long a hybrid nest until it full ?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

Hey guys,

I'm living in Montreal, Canada and this summer I want to try to catch a tetramorium sp E queen aka pavement ants. That part it all good and I'm prepare. I was thinking to get a tetramorium hybrid nest for lodge them.

My question is how long until that hybrid nest will be full ? Let say I move then to the nest the second years ( after they hibernation ) from that date how long until I will have to make they home bigger ?? And the same question for they outworld .

Thank you guys for your answer
Ant love forever

idahoantgirl

Re: How long a hybrid nest until it full ?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 am

MatLaf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am
Hey guys,

I'm living in Montreal, Canada and this summer I want to try to catch a tetramorium sp E queen aka pavement ants. That part it all good and I'm prepare. I was thinking to get a tetramorium hybrid nest for lodge them.

My question is how long until that hybrid nest will be full ? Let say I move then to the nest the second years ( after they hibernation ) from that date how long until I will have to make they home bigger ?? And the same question for they outworld .

Thank you guys for your answer
Ant love forever
I keep a nine month old tetramorium colony in a lasius hybrid nest. Though the hybrid nest appears small in dimensions, it can hold a lot of ants. I estimate I have 100-200 workers right now and they only take up two chambers. AntsCanada states that it can hold about a thousand ants of this small size. Also, remember that you can control their growth by how much protein you give.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MatLaf

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am

Ho okay thank you for your answer !

Batspiderfish

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't have a Hybrid Nest, but raising ants in the north takes quite a bit longer than it does in tropical and mediterranean climates (extra heating will make things go faster, but is unnecessary and has risks.) It will take one or two years for a formicarium of that size to fill up.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.