Help identifying Ant from backyard

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

NeerAnt

Help identifying Ant from backyard

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:04 pm

I found some ants in my back yard in a small group cluster. They seemd to be each individually shallow buried in the dirt and no colony near them. There was about 12 in total and I have yet to see a queen in person to tell if they where. They all looked the same or very very similar. One or two where dead and so i used one for a picture which i will provide. (Sorry, no micro lenses for the super close shots)
I am just getting into ant keeping and i am uncertain of species as well so any help / information would be appreciated.

Also:
Area - Virginia
Found in - March (Early) in a cluster of about three groups of 2-4 or single ants
Possibly they where starting to hibernate but weather here can be 80F on day and 35F the next
Habbits - They move slowly, Don't seem to eat. And when i introduced some to digging medium they instantly buried about one inch deep (Sometimes in groups) and just huddle.

I am wondering if they are queens and or what species if so

Thanks

Martialis

Re: Help identifying Ant from backyard

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 pm

How large are they?
Keeper of

Selliing:

NeerAnt

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:54 pm

They are roughly around 6mm each or 6/10s of a cm

Martialis

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Alright, one last request. Can you get a view of her from the side closer? I'm thinking she might be a queen. It really sounded like you described founding chambers.
Keeper of

Selliing:

NeerAnt

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:18 pm

This is as close i could get without a magnifying lens which i would have to pick up sometime tomorrow or later in the week if need be

I kept the one dead one for photos and since i was not sure if they where queens i put one in a test tube set up and the rest in a small aquarium with digging medium and they almost instantly went and made these.

This last one is the hill in the corner side view, a little blurry but about 6 of them in there. They don't seem to come out ever either. Been about 2-3days. The test tube one i plan on checking tomorrow. I wanted to give that one time just in case.

Martialis

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:31 pm

I think they're Prenolepis imparis queens. Highly polygonous.
Keeper of

Selliing:

NeerAnt

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Awesome ill keep an eye on them and see what happens!

Thank you very much,

SpeciesK

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 am

:shock: You found 12 queens? all clustered together, at the beginning of March, and have them digging their own claustral chambers that you can see into... I think this is the most amazing thing I have read yet... :D

Fulkol

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:41 am

SpeciesK wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 am
:shock: You found 12 queens? all clustered together, at the beginning of March, and have them digging their own claustral chambers that you can see into... I think this is the most amazing thing I have read yet... :D
This

I'd probably give my half leg for a 6-10 queen super colony captured in the very beginning
That's something I'd build a 1-2 meters tall vertical dirt setup for

Batspiderfish

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:55 am

These are Lasius claviger, social parasites of other Lasius, namely L. neoniger and L. alienus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.