can i capture other fire ants and...

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

XxStrongHeroxX

can i capture other fire ants and...

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 am

can i capture other fire ants and put them into another nest i have and they join that colony

Fulkol

Re: can i capture other fire ants and...

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 am

No
They kill each other
Broodboosting is possible eith eggs but (don't take it as an offence, I wouldn't do it either) seeing the level of the research you've done/knowledge you have I wouldn't recommend even attempting it

Serafine

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:45 am

Only if the colony is very small. Fire ants (at least the imported fire ant Solenopsis invicta) does raid nearby nests to steal their brood. After a short battle the workers of the defeated colony defect to the victorious side and leave their nest to join the other colony, soon after even the defeated queen follows. But then the workers of most fire ant colonies will start to kill all queens except one after the colony has reached a certain size.

However there have been sightings of a new polygynous subtype with permanent multiple queens but they're still rare (except in some areas where they are slowly taking over).

XxStrongHeroxX

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Serafine wrote:
Only if the colony is very small. Fire ants (at least the imported fire ant Solenopsis invicta) does raid nearby nests to steal their brood. After a short battle the workers of the defeated colony defect to the victorious side and leave their nest to join the other colony, soon after even the defeated queen follows. But then the workers of most fire ant colonies will start to kill all queens except one after the colony has reached a certain size.

However there have been sightings of a new polygynous subtype with permanent multiple queens but they're still rare (except in some areas where they are slowly taking over).
what about the southern fire ant that is what the ant looks like to be due to the head and end is a blackish color

XxStrongHeroxX

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Serafine wrote:

the fire ants have a brown head and is about 5 - 7 mili. and has a brown head

Phoenix

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

No matter how much an ant species look-a-like with another, they'll still most likely fight to death due to their different colony scents with a few exceptions of course; but this probably isn't one of them.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell