No ants in my area

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

commandertrauma

No ants in my area

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 am

So I've been trying to find ant colonies near my house so I can find out when the nuptial flights are but I can't find one. The only one in my neighborhood hasn't sent workers out in a year and I've never seen a latex fly from it in the three years I've lived here. There are no GAN farmers in Kansas and I can't find any ants any help on where to find them.

Martialis

Re: No ants in my area

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:14 am

commandertrauma wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 am
So I've been trying to find ant colonies near my house so I can find out when the nuptial flights are but I can't find one. The only one in my neighborhood hasn't sent workers out in a year and I've never seen a latex fly from it in the three years I've lived here. There are no GAN farmers in Kansas and I can't find any ants any help on where to find them.
No need to double post.

I doubt you'll ever see latex fly. ;) However, alates fly at night and early morning many times. I've never seen them fly either, yet there are still ants.

How do you know they've not sent workers out? You could try going to a field if you have access to one, or even just sidewalks. You've probably got some small genera like Brachymyrmex or Monomorium in your neighborhood. Black lights, or even modified bug zappers work to attract queen ants.
Keeper of

Selliing:

commandertrauma

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Thx I didn't notice that I double posted, I check the ant nest everyday to see if they are still there. It think they are a type of carpenter ant since they live right by a tree. I haven't seen any ants aorund my neighboorhood so I will have to go to a field and a park, btw I have seen latex fly over my house in a v-formation.

Martialis

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm

There are many genera that may live by a tree; both arboreal and non-arboreal, wood dwelling and ground dwelling.
Keeper of

Selliing:

commandertrauma

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:42 pm

They live under the tree and are red brownish and yellow. Not sure if actual colors though.
The thing is I've been looking for weeks for a second colony of any other species and haven't found one yet. I've searched my e tire neighboorhood. Any tips on where to look in parks and neighborhoods as I may have missed many ant colonies.

Martialis

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Try sidewalks, grass, trees, anywhere, really.
Keeper of

Selliing:

commandertrauma

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Just went and searched the entire park, I found one measly little fire ant colony with two workers ou in the vicinity.

Martialis

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:27 pm

I don't believe there are any Solenopsis invicta in Kansas. Only the native ant, Solenopsis xyloni.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:01 pm

I have a lot of luck finding ants in cemeteries, just don't go flipping over rocks, if you know what I mean. :lol:

You aren't really going to be looking for colonies when you are hunting for queens (unless you are looking for a particular species). When the mating flights happen, queens will disperse in all directions. Urban environments can be difficult for many native species to live, and while they certainly are not devoid of ants, you have better luck searching grassland paths -- especially when they are adjacent to forests.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

commandertrauma

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:45 pm

The thing is there are no ant colonies in my area so there are no queen alates flying at any time of year.my neighboorhood is prayed 4 times a year to get rid of "pests" so there are no colonies. I had to travel 15 min away to find one colony. Speaking of which what time of year do these solonopsis ants have their nuptial flight?