Hi, I'm new! Where is the law?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Serafine

Re: Hi, I'm new! Where is the law?

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:03 pm

SpeciesK wrote:I didn't realize most ants eat insects, that never occurred to me until now. I thought they were vegetarians. :)
Some of them (like the entire Messor genus) are, although they eat dead insects as well if they find one. And there are actually studies that suggest that harvester ants can benefit agriculture because the way they soften up the ground outweighs the seeds they consume.

SpeciesK

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:13 pm

KingKyle26 wrote:Can a mod please remove those above comments. Before too many people see them. Ban that user too.

What is wrong with those comments? And why would they get someone banned? :cry:

KingKyle26

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Lol it was a bot. And they were deleted

SpeciesK

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Serafine wrote: Some of them (like the entire Messor genus) are, although they eat dead insects as well if they find one. And there are actually studies that suggest that harvester ants can benefit agriculture because the way they soften up the ground outweighs the seeds they consume.
I think it would be great to have a colony of Harvester Ants. The problem is I was stung by one once with an ant farm long ago and I thought my finger was on fire! Even putting ice on it didn't take away the burning! But they are big, red ants that carry things around. What could be better than that? :mrgreen: