Japan

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AS1ANP3R

Japan

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:19 am

Please help me I grew up in Texas . But am now living in Japan so I know nothing about the nuptial flights here.
I would like to get an ant farm going but I dont know what spices live here and what time they fly.
If any one knows any thing about the nuptial flights in japan I would greatly appreciate it .
Thank you

BleedingRaindrops

Re: Japan

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm not on Mainland but I'm down on Okinawa, about 500km south of Japan. It's probably a bit warmer here but I can relay what I find about the ants here and see if it helps you. We just had Nylanderia and Pheidole fly back in November. I've also seen some tetramorium and Paratrechina Longicornis scurrying about. There's even a tiny golden species I haven't identified yet because sightings are scarce.

I recommend getting some test tubes and just paying attention to the rain. If you find a warm, windless day, just before or just after it rains, look closely. There will probably be some ant queens about. Good luck.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.