Should I Keep Ants?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

SamuelMamuel

Should I Keep Ants?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I would love to keep ants so much, they are so incredible. However, I am not quite sure if I have the time to keep ants. About how much time per day does it take to keep ants?
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

Batspiderfish

Re: Should I Keep Ants?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 pm

You really just have to give them fresh food and clean up after them daily -- the rest is going to be watching them. :D

I can get the important stuff done in about 15-30 minutes.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Vaporeon189

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 pm

mmmmmm about 20 mins for clean up sooooo....
Keeper of:
1 cat
3 dogs
5 goats
2 horses
1 gecko
a lot of chickens
1 peacock
2 rabbits
3 siblings XD
And hopefully a future ant keeper :D

plz read newest post

larynx

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm

It doesn't take too much out of the day if you only have a colony or two to look after. I personally keep 2 to 3 colonies going at once, and i also keep a bunch of founding colonies for the GAN project during the spring and summer months. I havent found it too time consuming yet, unless im going out of town then it can be some work getting someone to check on them and feed them properly. Other than that if you keep it simple you should have time. I would say it takes about 30 to 120 minutes a day to feed and care for all my ants when i have a full load. A "full load" being 3 colonies or so, and 30-40 founding queens at various stages.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

SamuelMamuel

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 pm

What nest do y'all recommend for a beginner, hybrid or omni? I setup a poll on another post if you wanna vote there
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

Vaporeon189

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:32 pm

SamuelMamuel wrote:What nest do y'all recommend for a beginner, hybrid or omni? I setup a poll on another post if you wanna vote there
hybrid
Keeper of:
1 cat
3 dogs
5 goats
2 horses
1 gecko
a lot of chickens
1 peacock
2 rabbits
3 siblings XD

plz read newest post

SamuelMamuel

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 pm

And why that nest type?
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

Vaporeon189

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 pm

dont listen to me im not experienced. but i think that is more suitible for some reason :?
Keeper of:
1 cat
3 dogs
5 goats
2 horses
1 gecko
a lot of chickens
1 peacock
2 rabbits
3 siblings XD

plz read newest post

Serafine

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:58 pm

SamuelMamuel wrote:What nest do y'all recommend for a beginner, hybrid or omni? I setup a poll on another post if you wanna vote there
Depends on the species you want.

Fire ants literally burst into existence with a speed that forces you to add a new formicarium or outworld every 2-4 weeks as their queens can lay up to 11000 eggs per week.

Camponotus on the other end of the spectrum are very slow-growing and will only reach 100-200 workers after two years (in year 3 they sort of explode into the thousands) which means they can perfectly live in test tubes placed in an outworld for two years before they need more space (additional outworlds or formicariums).
They are also rather dry-loving which makes them perfect candidates for omninests (same goes for harvester ants which need a dry place to store their seeds) while ants that prefer more moist breeding grounds might do better in a hybrid.

shaky33

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:51 pm

SamuelMamuel wrote:I would love to keep ants so much, they are so incredible. However, I am not quite sure if I have the time to keep ants. About how much time per day does it take to keep ants?
Starting off ants require very small amounts of time, its actually recommended that you dont touch them at all at the start. As the colony grows it requires more work and more time. But for the first year for most species it requires very little time.

Also if you live in a region where you have to hibernate your ants that might be longer. I would recommend Campotonus sp. as they are fairly easy to find and they take a while for their colonies to grow.
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi