Failing in ant keeping

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

zpiter

Re: Failing in ant keeping

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
zpiter wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:https://goo.gl/photos/X6t8tE3gxqkhYLbf8

Ok, so following this link, your ants are:
Camponotus sp.
Odontomachus sp.

I can't really make an attempt at the final ant(s?), the ones with wings, without a measurement in millimeters. I can at least tell that she is fully-claustral and from the Formicinae subfamily (like Camponotus).

Camponotus can be sensitive ants, and sometimes they just won't lay eggs. There are certain species in my area that will lay eggs right away, and some species which I have never been able to get started. You just have to wait and hope for the best.

Your Odontomachus queen is a semi-claustral ant, so she needs access to foraging space and small, soft-bodied insects to start a colony (i.e. cricket nymphs or vinegar flies.)
The last photo is the Nylanderia sp. Very common ant in Singapore. Easy to keep and fast growing.
What is your criteria for determining this without a measurement?
Like other post on pheidole sp which I mention before, I caught way too many of those small sp of ants. I have dozen colonies of Nylanderia in the past six months, and I check on them daily.
I believe I am able to ID one without measurement. :)

Benjamin

Re: Failing in ant keeping

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 am

Oh, I'm so sorry for not including the measurement. The queen in the last picture is 4-5mm in length.