Do brachymyrmex dig?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Theantguy13

Do brachymyrmex dig?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:52 pm

So for Xmas my grandparents got me a standard vertical ant farm in which you fill with dirt/sand and water. I was thinking I could provide food on top of the sand and water as usual, the only thing is, I only have two colonies that I need to put into formicaria (but not for awhile) 1 being a brachymyrmex sp. The other being a pogonomyrmex rugosus, which im pretty sure is infertile, at least for normal workers. So my question is, do brachymyrmex dig? I mean I know all ants dig but only some are very elaborate diggers... *cough* pogonomyrmex *cough*.

Batspiderfish

Re: Do brachymyrmex dig?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:10 pm

The only way to tell if a queen is infertile is if she raises brood that turn out to be males.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Brachymyrmex might prefer not to dig into sand, because of their small size. Pogonomyrmex (the ants these things are designed for) are pretty large, so I don't know how fine the sand is.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Theantguy13

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:20 am

What about dirt?