Unusual Species to Keep

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

Unusual Species to Keep

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Every antkeeper's dream is to keep a species they've also wanted or to discover one. Personally, mine is the ant Martialis hureka But I don't think I'm going to get those any time soon. :lol: Does anybody know of some rarely kept/rarer ants in Indiana? It can be anywhere in the state. Thanks in advance.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Nathant

Re: Unusual Species to Keep

Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 am

Temnothorax spp? The Acorn Ant?
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Batspiderfish

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:38 am

Almost nobody has kept Lasius social parasites (there are a few Lasius umbratus colonies starting up recently, but that's pretty much it). Anything from the Acanthomyops subgenus has never been reared successfully in captivity. I'm working on Lasius latipes right now.

Formica social parasites are not far behind, albeit way easier to get started. They are much more diverse than Lasius.

Tetramorium atratulum social parasites are very unusual and hard to find, if perhaps short-lived.

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis is a beautiful parasitic species whose queen I am searching for.

Anything from Colobopsis, Dolichoderus, Hypoponera, Myrmecina, Myrmica, Ponera, Proceratium, Stenamma, and Strumigenys are also rarely or never kept.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:44 am

And don't forget Stigmatomma, which seems to need a helper queen or worker to start a colony. This is a very advanced species to keep, and likely wouldn't see its first worker for an entire year.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:49 am

Lots of parasites on that list! I already have a Ponera, so I'll look into the others.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:20 am

Do you know of anywhere where I can find more solid information about these?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:39 am

Do searches in the forums, particularly the older ones like formiculture and antfarm.yuku.com

After that, try looking for scientific literature -- sometimes people have investigated colony-founding strategies, or at least need to take care of the ants throughout an experiment.

Otherwise, a lot of it might be new territory.

Martialis

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:15 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Do searches in the forums, particularly the older ones like formiculture and antfarm.yuku.com

After that, try looking for scientific literature -- sometimes people have investigated colony-founding strategies, or at least need to take care of the ants throughout an experiment.

Otherwise, a lot of it might be new territory.
Had some trouble on the forums, which is to be expected. :lol: I'm on antbase.org and antweb now.. Hoping I can find something.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:30 pm

After some research, I've found that the Dolichoderus genus has been found near me. :D I'm going to try to go there next season.. Three out of the four recorded species of them have been found there.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:36 pm

Two of the genuses are present.. completely all (minus one) species in IN!
Keeper of

Selliing: