Pittsburgh, PA - Queen Identification 2

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JacobSyndeo

Pittsburgh, PA - Queen Identification 2

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Hey guys, me again! I made a thread a week or so ago about a queen I caught, she turned out to be a Solenopsis molesta.

After weeks of searching, and only having found that one queen so far, I was about to give up.
But I hit the jackpot today.

Eight queens! I'm ecstatic!

All appear to be from the same species except for one smaller one that I somehow accidentally scooped up along with the larger queen I caught.

Here are some closeups of a few of the beauties! Can you help me identify their species?

And now, here's some of the smaller one:

I'm keeping an eye on her… she seems to be fixing to make an escape through that crack.

(Which brings me to another problem entirely… I don't have enough remaining test tubes for these queens! I made a thread for that topic here: http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1755)

Anyway, thank you so much in advance for your help identifying these queens!

nightxwolf88

Re: Pittsburgh, PA - Queen Identification 2

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Look like lasius to me. The small one is a male.

JacobSyndeo

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:Look like lasius to me. The small one is a male.
Haha, well then I'll let him go. :lol:

So Lasius neoniger? I read that those ones are very common on/around Labor Day! I tried to find them on Labor Day, but alas, I didn't have any luck. But it rained last night, so I think that coaxed them to come out today! Let me know if you need additional pics.

nightxwolf88

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm still finding lasius neoniger around me too as well as lasius social parasites idk what species tho, maybe interjectous

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:06 pm

They all look like Lasius neoniger to me. The little one is a male. You didn't catch these all right next to each other, right?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JacobSyndeo

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:They all look like Lasius neoniger to me. The little one is a male. You didn't catch these all right next to each other, right?
I caught them in the same park field, in the area of a few acres. Some were caught in a soccer field area, others in the outfield of a baseball field, and some were by the parking lot. They were really just flying wherever. I made sure to catch any I saw land and try to make their way down below the grass (because I imagine this indicates that they successfully mated).