general talk about our colonies

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jsctheantkeeper

general talk about our colonies

Thu May 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello, lets just have a discussion on our colonies and if you have questions i might be able to help you out

AntDudeUSA

Re: general talk about our colonies

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Well I kinda got a Solenopsis colony by accident I caught a queen hoping it was something else found out it was a fire ant and was going to get rid of it looked saw it had eggs and felt bad so now I suppose I have a fire ant colony :shock: :?

Good news is however this year I caught my dream species which is Tetramorium Caespitum she has laid a few eggs and seems to be doing fine
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

BlitzAnts

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:34 pm

I cought solenopsis ants too!

Three queens to be exact, of the species Solenopsis Xyloni

Also two Atta Mexicana queens (for those I would like advice)
Housing two Camponotus Barbarus Queens!

Also FOUR Solenopsis xyloni Queens! (if you want to, check the journal!)

Rhetorik

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 pm

My camponotus novaeboracensis colony is coming along well, I caught the queen July 2017. They're up too about 30 worker and a couple majors, one of which has a white patch on her thorax. They started in a test tube which I connected to an out world, I've since switched them to a new tube with the help of a hearing pad. I placed them in a glass terrarium to help with escapes, problem im running into now is there crawling up the glass and falling once they touch the Vaseline over and over till they die : /. Only the smaller workers have been escaping, I'm hoping to have it sorted out soon.

Amazing ants too keep, they don't mind me at all and light doesn't seem to bother them. They're growing more bold as there numbers increase. With the death of 2 other camponotus novaeboracensis queens during hibernation I got the chance to brood boost aswell. Definitely worth the wait.
Yaaas my queen
-Me

Arrownation

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 pm

Has anyone ever found a Rhytidoponera purpurea ive been trying to order one but everyone is out of stock if any luck pm me or something I really want to start it i have a habitat for them and everything but no ants

conradhungerford

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:23 am

My fire ants just had its first batch of workers I am happy it is a Myrmica rubra wild caught so it started at 30 or so but it is doing well

Masterchief

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 pm

This string is Awesome! I just dove into ant keeping this year. I was lucky enough to catch 2 Queens. One Liometopum Occidentale (velvety tree ants) and some sort of Tetramorium. Both are totally thriving! My lio queen has just nursed her first batch of about 23 pupa into awesome little nanatics! My tetramorium queen is just laying eggs Like a Boss! Lol. She will very soon have new little'uns running around and ready to be fed for the first time! I really appreciate the info I've received from the good people here in the AC family! Couldn't do it withoutchya! Go ACAF!
http://imgur.com/gallery/047h4kY
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

AntDudeUSA

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:42 pm

my camponotus queen has her first workers and I'm super happy my solenopsis and tetramorium are beginning to lay more and more eggs and my wild caught pheidole colony have moved into a testube in their set up they have tons of brood and ants my lasius queen died and so did my formica however good news is I caught two more queens one I belive is formica subsericea and a unkown little orange queen
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

Jsctheantkeeper

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 pm

i have 4 queens and soon i am going to have to evict 3 so when i have to look on the GAN project for Tetramorium sp. e in USA, utah if i order more setups they wont be there in time the larva are huge and ready to spin cocoons

Webbles

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:22 pm

What's yalls thoughts on digging up a colony and collecting the queen and some workers
Keeper of
3 tapinoma sessile
6 ghost ants
8 acrobat ants
2 striped carpenter ants