Queens Lay Eggs Too Soon!!?!

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Masterchief

Queens Lay Eggs Too Soon!!?!

Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Hey ACAF! I have been lucky enough to stumble upon 2 Beautiful queen ants so far this season! I am most likely done searching because both have started to lay eggs and are well on the way to a great colony! (fingers crossed)!
In order to ask my question properly I need to tell the story of finding them!
The first queen I found was a Liometopum Occidentale named Lucy. Similar in look and behavior to a carpenter ant! She was in a camper trailer on a property nearby in the hills. She was running around all over looking for somewhere to make her nest. Then the second queen (which I'm getting help with properly identifying) was found on the sidewalk near multiple "fallen" male elates.
Both Queens now have started laying their first batch of eggs the very next day after being caught and placed in a test ube setup. I can understand if my queen Lucy had been wandering around on the trailer for days trying to find the appropriate place but I feel like my new Queen Had to have just mated either yesturday morning or the day before!? Is it possible for her to be laying eggs that soon after nuptual flight!? She has already lost her wings. It has been pretty breezy around here and I feel the male elates body's wouldn't have been here in so many numbers unless the flight had just happened!?
Anyway... If you have experianced something similar I'd love to hear about it! Also I'm sorry if you've found Queens and they haven't produced eggs yet. Hang in there!! Lady Luck will come around for ya when you least expect!!
Go ACAF! -Chief
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

AntDudeUSA

Re: Queens Lay Eggs Too Soon!!?!

Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 pm

It is not a bad thing in fact it is a pretty good sign it means that she was very comfortable some queens it can take days for them to lay eggs other it can take hours it just depends
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

Masterchief

Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Wow! I had no idea it could be so fast! I have her in a dark red towel folded over next to Queen Lucy! I need a name for her now! The temp only varies from about 82 to 84. Thanx for the info!
Here's some picks of my new Queen!
http://imgur.com/gallery/S3c4iyp
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

AntDudeUSA

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:46 am

Nice shes very pretty If that is the queen thats unidentified she looks awfully alot like a Tetramorium she resembles my Tetramorium queen except mine has more brown in her so i dont know if that means its a different specie or what im not a expert of course but that looks like a Tetramorium hopefully that helps

-AntDude
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni