PSA: Shipping Ants in Canada

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Canadiananter

PSA: Shipping Ants in Canada

Sat May 05, 2018 5:01 pm

OK, so recently, I have been talking to a lot of newer Canadian antkeepers (Mostly on other platforms) and I have realized that there's a common misconception going rampant for some reason : Shipping Ants in the mail is illegal.

In case any Canadian members don't know, I would like to stress that shipping ants domestically in Canada is perfectly legal. Yes, even over province lines.

I've also heard that shipping ants in unethical.
In some senses, this is true. However, I believe that if packaged correctly, very little stress will be incurred upon the ants. I would compare it to shipping tarantulas and scorpions.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: PSA: Shipping Ants in Canada

Sun May 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Just so we're all on the same page. The only trading or selling of ants on this forum goes thru the AntsCanada GAN project and that can be accessed here---> http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/

We don't sell or trade them on the forums and any posting pertaining to that will be deleted and the user will be warned once.

Where I see your point of shipping things like other things are (reptiles and insects) we prefer that via the GAN project the exchange is done in person and that's for two reasons:

#1 It's done legally keeping in mind the restrictions of the state or government requirements pertaining to insect species that are allowed or not allowed across state, county, or country lines.

#2 By it being done in person this allows the person getting the ant(s) to look at them first to make sure they are what they asked for and also that they seem to be in good health, nothing worse to receive a package that was mishandled or abused and the reptile or insect is dead.

We all love our Ants and only want the best for them so why not get them in good health and meeting a fellow ant keeper is always a plus! Heck if you've never kept the species before the GAN farmer might even be able to give you some very helpful hints and tips on the caring of that species.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Canadiananter

Sun May 06, 2018 11:06 pm

I realize this. But recently I've seen a lot of people claiming this, and wanted to clear up the misunderstanding.

averagebilly

Mon May 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Canadiananter wrote:
In some senses, this is true. However, I believe that if packaged correctly, very little stress will be incurred upon the ants. I would compare it to shipping tarantulas and scorpions.
Even if packaged correctly, someone could still drop it, or send it to the wrong address. Then, the ants would die because the recipiant wouldn't know what to do with them. They may even decide to kill them! :twisted:
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

Canadiananter

Mon May 07, 2018 3:33 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:13 pm
Canadiananter wrote:
Even if packaged correctly, someone could still drop it, or send it to the wrong address. Then, the ants would die because the recipiant wouldn't know what to do with them. They may even decide to kill them! :twisted:
Yes, and the same would apply to all other pets