Camponotus Castaneus

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

antnest8

Re: Camponotus Castaneus

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I've kept camponotus and they like to nest in rotten or moist wood. i find that they fly from early April to July nut the most i found was in may. as for care they are reletivly easy just don't mess up like i did :lol: . Iv'e seen they like fruit flies and can climb over vasiline
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

antnest8

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:21 pm

oh also for special care their is none just they are really slow :)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntDudeUSA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm

One way you could find a queen is after a rainstorm during the morning or afternoon (I have found they do not like when it is very hot outside) go into the woods and find a tree that has fallen and look for holes with freash sawdust on the pull the tree apart slowly and carefully with a screwdriver or hammer and try to see if you can find a queen there is a youtube video by Tarheel ants that shows this process another good way to find them is to after a rainstorm wallk on a pavement/concrete path through or besides dense woods and keep your eyes on the ground. Camponotus queens are very large so you will be able to ID them very quickly Just saying they are much much bigger than any Camponotus major or worker so if you find a ant that is the size of your thumb you know its a campo queen :lol:
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

PTasker15

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:31 pm

They Like Nights.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

AntDudeUSA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Something I forgot to mention is that I flipped over a rock in the woods behind my house and found a massive c .Cast colony I don't know if that helps or not
Keeper of
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

PTasker15

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:43 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm
Something I forgot to mention is that I flipped over a rock in the woods behind my house and found a massive c .Cast colony I don't know if that helps or not
WHAT!You Lost The Chance Of Getting A Colony.The Queen Was Probably At The Top With Brood And Mnions!!

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

AntDudeUSA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:48 pm

oh don't worry my friend I'm going back tomorrow with a big plastic container I had nothing with me at the time (a mistake that has cost me a few queens) I also saw a few big larvae and cocoons at the top with around 50 - 60 workers I put the rock back carefully as to not hurt any ant
Keeper of
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

PTasker15

PTasker15

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 pm

PTasker15 wrote:
https://youtu.be/_nFVTNxMfvY
As Of 8:37Pm Central,I'm Live Streaming On Ants Texana On YouTube Of A Camponotus Ceastenus Flight.
The Link Above Is On My Channel,Ants Texana,In The Description Is Channel Where Live Stream Happens.

Antabama

Thu May 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Castaneus are one of the few carpenters who will actually build nests underground. Makes it a bit harder to find. Here in the northern part of bama I have been seeking fallen trees with plenty of growth and it's in the clay and dirt that I found a few more. I have yet to find an active nest. Last night I found a nuptial queen that I believe has not mated. She was crawling across my porch.
Link that pointed me in the right direction away from trees.
http://www.schoolofants.org/species/1164