Hibernating Ants Outside

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

AdamKnapp

Hibernating Ants Outside

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello! I have no means of hibernating my ants. I can't keep them in the fridge and a don't have a cold enough room to store them. Could I keep them outside assuming they are protected from the elements? Also, when they start hibernating should I keep food in their test tube? I gave them a bunch of food 3 weeks ago and they are running out of honey.

PTasker15

Re: Hibernating Ants Outside

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Yes.You Can Hibernate Them Outside....If You Want To Kill Them...They Are Smart...Don't Feed Them.Or Nothing.Put Them In A Drawer.Check On Them Every Three Weeks..If They Start Dying(Except The Queen)Then Buy Dekota Clover Honey.Its Perfect Thanks To Its Formula.Its Provides Carbohydrates,Protein,And Sugar.
If They Aren't Dying.But;
They Are Moving And Hyper-Feed Them
etc
If They Are Still But Alive-Leave Them Alone Untile About February 23rd.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Batspiderfish

Re: Hibernating Ants Outside

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 pm

An unheated room or basement will do, in a pinch. Just make sure it doesn't get to be freezing in there, which would put most ants at risk. There are some species which are extremely cold tolerant when they gradually acclimate to it. Camponotus pennsylvanicus, for example, can survive -20C in the wild.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.