Prenolepis sp. in Vancouver

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

LordEnwar

Prenolepis sp. in Vancouver

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Has anyone ever seen any of the Winter Ants in the Greater Vancouver Area? (Canada)

Thanks in advance!

AntsBC

Re: Prenolepis sp. in Vancouver

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I live in bc and it’s great to see that there is another ant farmer in bc!! As for your question I don’t think prenlopis is down in bc I think they are more in America (although I could be wrong)

I’m so excited there’s another ant keeper in bc!

Sub to my YouTube channel for ants if you want: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6lC-EkzotGR66uHGul9deg

If you want you can join the North American ant discord chat too :)
(that is if you have discord)

https://discord.gg/fdHjGKU

LordEnwar

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks, AntsBC!

I watched your videos - very interesting spider/ant interactions, haha!

Thanks for the info on Prenolepis. It matches what I found online. I only question it because, on the GAN Project, someone up north past Whistler is selling a Prenolepis and it got me excited to find my own...
Except I checked again this morning to make sure I wasn't crazy and it looks like the GAN Project website got updated and the Prenolepis is gone now!

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm

It could have just been a misidentification. I see Lasius niger on those lists too, and that isn't really in North America in the way that records seem to imply.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsBC

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Hmm

Ya that’s weird that lasius nigers on there. The only lasius species I’ve found in BC is flavus. There is a ton of formica here in bc and a lot of tetramorium too. The only thing with formica is that f.pacifica dominates where I live though and that species must be hard to keep because they NEVER lay eggs (at least that’s my experience with them).

notmyidea

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm

There's lots of lasius alienus on Vancouver Island at least. I've had trouble getting this species to start a colony but other keepers have had success.