The funny misadventures of ant hunting

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Proverbs66

The funny misadventures of ant hunting

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 am

Ok I just wanted to ask everyone what their weirdest, funniest, and most favorite queen captures were. Mine was pretty funny, my brother and I were walking from the store when I noticed something on the back of his white t shirt it was a queen phiedole I told him to keep still and to let me catch it with the empty bottle I had, just in case I ran into this kind of situation, told me hurry up and catch my stupid ant so we could go already, so i chuckled and slid the ant into the bottle and we went on our way. This was funny to me because usually your siblings don't get too involved with your ant keeping hobby but rather think you're a nerd and respect it from a distance but my brother played an important role in my hobby for just a little while even though he didn't know it :lol:
So anyone else have an awesome story about how they caught their queens? :D
Let us remember that even though ants are wonderful creatures, even more magnificent is their creator 😌

Brentywenty

Re: The funny misadventures of ant hunting

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:50 am

I found this summer a myrmica queen in my own backyard close to it's nest. (I knew for sure it was fertile because it was mating when I saw it.) And just before that I went to my friend's house to like play, you know. And after two hours we came back and I saw all these ants crawl out of their nest and I knew something special was happening and I looked and I saw the queen. The thing is that if I didn't go to my friend I probably didn't even go outside and then I would have never seen the queen I now have. So all thanks to my friend I have in my first year of ant keeping a myrmica queen! :D

#peoplewhohelpyouwithoutknowing

P.S. I have a topic about this queen in the main forum and I would be really happy if you help me with it.
It's called myrmica queen found in Belgium, Ghent on 10/8/2017.
Sorry for the ad, you can delete this message if you don't want ads.
Ants: So small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Phoenix

Re: Discussion

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Found Two Odontomachus Queens In My Bathroom Not Too Long Ago.
Pretty Much The Only Worth Mentioning On This Thread.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Jadeninja9

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:20 pm

When I went walking with my mom and captured a Jerusalem cricket thinking it was a cool type of Lasius species. Or when I caught two tiny Ceretina sp. bees (aka small carpenter bees) thinking they were of the Camponotus species.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

idahoantgirl

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 pm

I was at a church event with a friend sitting outside. A lasius neoniger queen landed on her shirt, and I made her stand still. :lol:
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

KSkuroooari

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
When I went walking with my mom and captured a Jerusalem cricket thinking it was a cool type of Lasius species. Or when I caught two tiny Ceretina sp. bees (aka small carpenter bees) thinking they were of the Camponotus species.
😂 Sounds like something I would do.

Jadeninja9

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 pm

KSkuroooari wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
😂 Sounds like something I would do.
Haha lol
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Proverbs66

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:46 pm

These are great!!! :lol: anyone else have an awesome story to tell?
Let us remember that even though ants are wonderful creatures, even more magnificent is their creator 😌

TOTHEMOON11

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:27 am

I was driving down the road to work, and a companeros queen landed on my windshield, then proceeded to fly thew my window and hit my sqare in the face. I cough her and she has been my best queen yet XD she is almost a year into the colony and i have a ***** tone of workers. Maby she just wanted to be captured, and btw i was late to work because of that :lol:
Keeping
camponotus pennsylvanicus 4
Camponotus sp 2

Founding
camponotus nigriceps 1
camponotus pennsylvanicus 6

Trying to find anything that is not componotus :?
But ant love, there all cool litter buggers 8-)

Antsanyone

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 pm

So, when I first started out antkeeping, my dad wasn't too thrilled... he didn't want a ton of ants all over the house, and told me that a lot of ants eat wood (they don't). One of my little sisters caught this tremendously HUGE ant queen in a plastic sandwhich bag, a gorgeous red-orange color with a dark head, and I was trying to put it in a test tube when my dad decided to help me out so I didn't let it escape. He shook the bag a whole bunch trying to force her into the tube, and she died the next day. I was kind of mad. However, my dad did make up for it by buying me an AntsCanada Lasius Hybrid starter kit the next spring, so there's that! Actually, 90% of all the ant queens I've had were caught by my younger siblings, especially my closest sister, who appears to be an ant magnet. She walked out on the back porch one day, and an ant queen landed on her shoulder. She caught it, brought it to me, walked back outside, and picked another queen of a different species off the grill! Yep. The first ant queen I caught, and the first queen I ever had, though, is the only one to survive to this day, sadly.
Wannabe entomologist
Current colonies:
Campnotus sp.
Dream ants:
Carebara castanea, Cephalotes, Atta texana
Calyptomyrmex, Discothyrea mixta, Melissotarsus spp.
Proatta, Rhytidoponera aspersa, Gigantiops ... actually, most ants.