can ants have maple syrup

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Serafine

Re: can ants have maple syrup

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes, ants can drink maple syrup. In fact it's better than honey (seriously, how is everyone think honey is so great for ants, like when do ants get access to honey in the wild?).

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Knew it lol
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

StormDancer

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Well, considering maple syrup doesn't occur in the wild and honey does, I would say they have the ability to come across it. I do think real maple syrup is just as good as honey for their needs but it is comparatively more expensive. Most maple syrup in stores is imitation. However, honey is not the source of most wild ant's sugar. Neither is syrup since it is by far not a naturally occurring substance. They get sugar from flower nectar or plant sap, or insects that produce honeydew. Or the junk we happen to litter around as humams.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm

StormDancer wrote:
Well, considering maple syrup doesn't occur in the wild and honey does, I would say they have the ability to come across it. I do think real maple syrup is just as good as honey for their needs but it is comparatively more expensive. Most maple syrup in stores is imitation. However, honey is not the source of most wild ant's sugar. Neither is syrup since it is by far not a naturally occurring substance. They get sugar from flower nectar or plant sap, or insects that produce honeydew. Or the junk we happen to litter around as humams.
Serafine wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:46 pm
Yes, ants can drink maple syrup. In fact it's better than honey (seriously, how is everyone think honey is so great for ants, like when do ants get access to honey in the wild?).
I just read that natural sap is actually 2% sugar and 98% water. Maple Syrup is more sugary than honey but contains fewer calories. Contains calcium, potassium, and magnesium lol. So I guess ants wouldn't really be consuming sap in the wild unless that 2% of sugar is actually a good amount of them.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

StormDancer

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm

It depends on the plant the sap comes from on the sugar content but ultimately you're correct. Mostly nectar and insect honeydew.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

Serafine

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:18 am

StormDancer wrote:
Well, considering maple syrup doesn't occur in the wild and honey does, I would say they have the ability to come across it.
Most ant colonies will not see a single drop of honey in their entire lifetime. Ants cannot just invade a random bee nest, it needs a bear or a falling tree to crack a bee hive first.
Also maple syrup is mostly sucrose which can be digested best by ants, while honey is mostly fructose and glucose with a very small amount of sucrose (around 2%). They can still drink honey but it's no ideal.
There may be some ants that love honey but my experience is that if provided with an alternative like sugar water or maple syrup the ants will usually prefer it over the honey. My Camponotus even completely ignore any honey I offer them.

Jadeninja9

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am

Serafine wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:18 am
StormDancer wrote:
Well, considering maple syrup doesn't occur in the wild and honey does, I would say they have the ability to come across it.
Most ant colonies will not see a single drop of honey in their entire lifetime. Ants cannot just invade a random bee nest, it needs a bear or a falling tree to crack a bee hive first.
Also maple syrup is mostly sucrose which can be digested best by ants, while honey is mostly fructose and glucose with a very small amount of sucrose (around 2%). They can still drink honey but it's no ideal.
There may be some ants that love honey but my experience is that if provided with an alternative like sugar water or maple syrup the ants will usually prefer it over the honey. My Camponotus even completely ignore any honey I offer them.
I just use agave nectar lol
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Antsanyone

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:08 pm

Huh, I never thought about that! This is a good point, though, and I'll have to try it with my ants. Maple syrup is coming up!
Wannabe entomologist
Current colonies:
Campnotus sp.
Dream ants:
Carebara castanea, Cephalotes, Atta texana
Calyptomyrmex, Discothyrea mixta, Melissotarsus spp.
Proatta, Rhytidoponera aspersa, Gigantiops ... actually, most ants.

Hawkeye

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 am

Hey everyone,

First of all I agree that most ants in nature won't come across honey. As for the syrup / sap part of the discussion, I think there might be a third party involved that is being overlooked... Aphids

They dine on plant sap and then secrete what is basically a very concentrated sugar sollution (or syrup). Which is what makes it so attractive to ants. So I guess that means that ants will have access to maple syrup in nature?