Dead Queen

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

AqdasHassaan

Dead Queen

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Hey fellow ant keepers, hope you all are doing well. ;) Today I lost one of my Phidole queen in a test tube setup. I'm looking for the possible reasons that is responsible for its death. She was active and in a very good condition yesterday. She had not laid a single egg either. Could infertility be the cause of its death.? Because as far as I know an infertile queen out of its nest is as good as dead because she will not eat and will eventually starve to death. Now this could be totally wrong but these are the things that I've heard and wanted to ask you guys.

Thanks and regards.

orangeant

Re: Dead Queen

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 am

I think infertility was probably the reason. Still sucks though. Sad.

TexasGuy

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Could have been stressed, to much mold, to cold, to warm and could have died from parasites not likely though.

StormDancer

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:49 am

Some of them will also just die. I've lost roughly 50% of the queens I have caught. Not 50% of each species mind you. It does make sense that there are a lot of factors that will prevent every queen from being successful. Could you imagine if every single fertilized queen actually survived to found a mature colony? :shock:
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!