Heat Lamps

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsBC

Heat Lamps

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:57 am

Hi, I keep my ant setups outside in my garage as my parents won't let me keep them inside. I have had a lot of queens due and I do everything that I am supposed to, but somehow the queens always end up eating their brood. I even have paper strips over the test tubes to make sure it is dark in the test tube setups. I have finally thought two years later that it could have something to do with the constant changing of temperature we have were I live so I want to be a heat lamp. I am currently housing lasius so my real question is what watts of heat if that's what u calll it should I get for a lasius colony. Are they a dry species? And do u guys recommend a heat lamp. I just think a constant temperature might be just the ants need.

Thanks,

Jason

ACaseoftheMondays

Re: Heat Lamps

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 pm

A heating cable or pad would probably be easier, although I imagine you could use a heat lamp, instead. If you want to be sure, use a thermometer of some type; either one that measures the ambient temperature, or an infrared point-and-shoot type that measures surface temp. (more $).
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

AntsBC

Re: Heat Lamps

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 pm

But do u know what watts a heat lamp should be at for lasius?

Thanks for responding so fast btw

Jason